Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My name is John, and I'm an EAV (1D X AFMA issue)

My name is John, and I'm an EAV (1D X AFMA issue)

EAV = Early Adopter Victim.

I love my 1D X - responsive as heck, great high ISO performance, a joy to use. Except.....

In the AFMA menu, when When Adjust by Lens is selected, powering off then on resets the setting (or W/T settings for a zoom lens) to zero, and also clears out a manually entered lens serial number. If I set it to All by Same Amount, the setting entered is retained...but, powering off actually changes the setting to Adjust by Lens, which is zeroed out. Even setting it to Disable and power cycling results in it being set to Adjust by Lens.

The same reversions occur if the camera goes into standby mode - when it's woken up, the AFMA setting, regardless of where it was left, reverts to Adjust by Lens with the previously set value(s) zeroed out.

This occurs with several lenses (zooms and primes), and occurs in any mode (standard modes as well as the C1-C3 user settings).

I called Canon Tech Support, who said it definitely should not do that (duh) but had no solution for the issue. (I was asked, "Ummm, I hate to ask, but you did press Set after entering the value, right?") The tech rep indicated that he tried it on a 1D X and it didn't display that behavior. At least one other person (who posted on CR) has the issue.

I expect a forthcoming firmware update which, "Addresses an intermittent issue that..." I can't see how it can be anything but a firmware issue, and I would bet it's a bug triggered by other settings (e.g., people who enabled the C2 and C3 settings before applying AFMA see the problem, or some other odd combination).

B&H support stated that Canon has informed them of a forthcoming firmware update to address the issue.

Very interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

If my calculations are correct John, you are still under B&H's 30 day remorse return period. If you go that route let us know when you send it so we can be watching for it to pop up in B&H's used department.

I have noticed that unlike my 5D's and 7D, the 1D IV is far more likely to require little or no adjustment when mounting a good L lens. I had a theory that possibly Canon takes a little more time with the Pro grade gear than they do the consumer gear. But then again maybe I was just lucky with my 1D IV. Were many of your lenses in need of calibration?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    If my calculations are correct John, you are still under B&H's 30 day remorse return period. If you go that route let us know when you send it so we can be watching for it to pop up in B&H's used department.
    LOL. I did ask via online chat - they consider an exchange as a return + a new order, meaning I'd go to the back of the queue (which the CSR told me is 'hundreds of orders'). I'm thinking I'll take my chances with Canon and a firmware update.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I have noticed that unlike my 5D's and 7D, the 1D IV is far more likely to require little or no adjustment when mounting a good L lens. I had a theory that possibly Canon takes a little more time with the Pro grade gear than they do the consumer gear. But then again maybe I was just lucky with my 1D IV. Were many of your lenses in need of calibration?
    I've only tested two lenses so far, the 40/2.8 'pancake' and the 70-200/2.8L IS II - the pancake was -2 and the 70-200 II was +3 at wide and +2 at tele. With f/2.8 lenses, 2-3 units of adjustment is not going to make a lot of difference, IMO. I'll likely try the 85L later today...
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 07-17-2012 at 04:38 PM.

The plot thickens...when I first entered an AFMA in for my 40/2.8 pancake lens, I entered -2. Now, it shows 0 as described above. If I go in and set it to +15, it shows +15 until I power it off, then 0 after powering it back on. But...when I look at the EXIF in DPP for images shot at +15 before power cycling and 0 after power cycling, they all show an adjustment of -2.

So...it appears that either something changed after applying that first AFMA value, or the first AMFA value applied sticks, no matter what you do (including Clear All in the AFMA menu, which I tried earlier today).

The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. On Thursday afternoon of last week, I took all of my test shots with the 40/2.8 at a range of AFMA values. Then early Friday morning, I did the same thing with the 70-200 II. After both of those sessions, I returned each lens' setting to zero, then powered off the camera. Later Friday morning, I shot a bunch of ISO test with all three bodies (which I still need to deal with). After that, I reviewed all of those AFMA images, and only then did I dial in the adjustments that seem to have stuck and now cannot be altered.

Sorry, to hear about this issue, or feature. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But at least it's not affecting using the camera, except for the AFMA.

A couple things to consider. If you set the AFMA for a Zoom Lens at wide and then telephoto range, but shoot in the middle focal range, the camera will choose a medium AFMA setting in between the two.

You can't register more than one copy of one lens, so is it possible that Clear All AFMA wasn't cleared yesterday (as oppossed to clear all camera settings which will have no affect), so therefore the old settings remained?

The last comment is that AFMA is not availabe in "Live Mode."

Just trying to help you "Brain Storm" here. I'm sure if anyone can figure it out it will be you!

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 07-17-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks, Rich. I definitely cleared all AFMA, did that sitting at my desk this morning. FWIW, with the 1D X you *can* register more than one of the same kind of lens - you can enter the lens serial number so it stores the settings separately. I did enter a serial number for the 70-200 II, and that got zeroed out as well. Interestingly, it seems the newest lenses, like the pancake, have the serial number included in the chip - it's pre-populated in the AFMA menu, and since it's refreshed when you attach the lens that one is not zeroed out.

Ok, Cool!

John, try this - Enter an AFMA for an older lens (one without the serial number on the chip, like the 70-200 II), then power off the camera. Turn it back on, and the AFMA menu should show zero and the serial number will be zeroed out (though if you take a photo I'm willing to bet it will still show the adjustment you made). Now without powering off the camera, remove the lens and put it back on (or at least turn it enough so the contacts aren't touching). Go back into the AFMA menu. I'm willing to bet you'll see your adjustment value and the serial number.
    - Trowski