Thread: For video recording, Tamron vs Canon lenses

Smile For video recording, Tamron vs Canon lenses

Hi people,

I'm about buy a camera, I decided to buy a Canon 60D, but now my problem is with the lenses. I'm gonna record basically video, and I wanted a dynamic and wide range lens. These are the kits that they offer me with the camera:

Which is the best option:

Tamron 18-200 mm
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II + EF-S 55-250 IS
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS
    Canon EF-S 18-135 mm IS Lens?

I have heard that canon is sharper in focus and fast as well, but Tamron is better in bokeh.

could you help me?
    looking forward your replies

Bokeh?

If you're looking at exclusively video, where does "bokeh" come in at all? IMHO using a shallow DOF is for the skilled, and the slightest movement of your subject may require refocusing if you're really stopping down like that. That's why I never recommend fast lenses for people starting out in video. I might be overstepping my bounds though, and you have all the mad skillz to make it happen.

The Tamron isn't particularly fast - but I don't think you'll see heaps of difference between any of these lenses as far as background blur when you do take advantage of it. The Tamron also seems a bit overkill as far as range. But mostly what I would see as a huge downside for video, no image stabilization! It's also third party - which has to be a taken into account. Not to disparage third party lenses though, I have 3 Sigmas! But it's a consideration. Chances for a mismatch or bad copy are just higher.

I've got the 17-85, and it's acceptable but not great. I replaced it a while ago, but still keep it as a knock around and it's good size and range. Loads of distortion at 17, and plenty of CA to go all around. The focus ring is smooth enough - but the zoom ring is not so hot. Not too big and an ok build if a bit heavy. For about $500 though it's not bad (don't know your cost) and works great for video. In fact with my 60D it's been the only one I've used so far for video and it's been fine! If you plan to do a lot of zoom adjustment though, I think you might not like it. Just too sticky.

The 18-55 IS II is a wonderful lens. It's better than it has any right to be. It's sharp and has great color and contrast. The build isn't half bad. Nice size and weight (always a consideration). If I was to throw my support behind just one lens for a DSLR starter, it would be this. You simply can't do better for the price.

The 55-250 would be good on occasion, but I see that as more of a still lens. It's a good lens if you're getting a good price! I'll assume you can't get the 18-55 without this. If you can, you might think about it. That money can be better spent going towards other things you'll need (hoods, lights, cards, lenspen, kit bag...).

The 18-135 is also quite good, has a lot of range and would also cover still photography just fine. The newest version is very impressive on the MTF charts, and has STM (stepping motor) focus which is fast and silent for video. But, I think you're being offered the first generation as a kit.

As you get good at shooting - you'll get a real good idea of what's working and what's not. You might be happy you didn't get a longer lens, or you might not! I've known a lot of folks that went towards UWA after they got involved in video instead of the other way.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony M View Post
    If you're looking at exclusively video, where does "bokeh" come in at all? IMHO using a shallow DOF is for the skilled, and the slightest movement of your subject may require refocusing if you're really stopping down like that.
    I totally agree with Anthony M.

Anagines, if you are going to record basically video, then buy a camcorder. I'm a video producer, sometimes also photographer. I use a 5D II for video recording from time to time, but only for close-up, macro and very low light. Even an amateur camcorder is easier to handle, gives you more control and resolves better moving subjects than a DSLR.

The Vixia HF G10 is an excellent camcorder. If you can afford it and have plans to become a serious video maker, the XA 10 would be a very good choice.