Thread: Best software to process RAW files from Canon 5D Mark II??

Best software to process RAW files from Canon 5D Mark II??

Can some one advice me on the Best software to process RAW files from Canon 5D Mark II??. I have been using LR 3.0, but I have been browsing on this topic and some body suggested that Canon software is the best for 5D series.
    Any inputs?

Best can be a relative term depending on how you process and what you need out of it.
    I have used DPP for years, and still think it does the best for solo images.
    I bought LR 4 several months ago, I like the work flow. I like the way it does noise reduction. I am still not convinced that if I pixel peep that it does a better job than DPP. But I like the speed that I can process with it.
    I haven't tried DxO in a few years, but some people like it. I wasn’t impressed with it, but it may have gotten better.

You have LR and DPP, DxO offers a free trial. Why not take test images and in each program do samples of the test images in each program to the best of your ability, compare and whichever is best go with it. I think all three versions might vary from person to person depending on their level of skill and how well they can use each program. After all, it isn’t important how well each performs for me; it’s how well they perform for you.

Hmm, where to begin....

I use Photoshop. As jrw pointed out, it's powerful to do things like layers, layer masks, etc. Adobe Camera Raw can do many of the edits before you open the file into Photoshop. Adjusting a photo that is too bright, or too dark, can be accomplished with the graduated filter tool, for example.

I do a lot of landscape shoots, so these lend themselves to adjustments that layers, masks, "curves" and filters contained in Photoshop. Plus, I use several plug-ins, to stretch the capabilities of PS.

I do take a lot of portraiture, too, and PS does a great job on these. Lightroom does a great job for portraiture, where lighting conditions are similar. Many photos can be adjusted all a once. It works well for weddings, etc. A lot of these multiple adjustments can also be done in Bridge / Photoshop, by setting up "actions."

I try to stick to PS, because learning post processing is time consuming. I want to become proficient at it. I picked it because of that.

Other programs (Photomatix, PTGui, etc.) complement it nicely, too.

I'm using LR4 and I'm really happy with it. Compared to DPP, that I've never used, LR has this cataloging, collections, published collection... and many others features around the develop module. The latter is quite amazing IMHO, especially the latest process (process 2012).
    AFAIK, Camera Raw in Photoshop is the same engine as Lightroom (I.e. Lr4 = Acr CS6); correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have no idea about the quality difference between the two tools (DPP and LR) but I'd be interested to see some tests.

DxO vs DPP was a discussion in the past. You may want to check this out:

http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=4025

The images are now missing, but there was a lot of good information here even without the images.

And here was another discussion about what people are using for RAW conversion that you may find interesting:

http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=3558

Both of these were threads started by neuroanatomist.
    Last edited by conropl; 07-19-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    DxO vs DPP was a discussion in the past. You may want to check this out:

http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=4025

The images are now missing, but there was a lot of good information here even without the images.
    I just went in and re-uploaded the images.