Thread: Help with multiple speedlites

Help with multiple speedlites

I use a couple of 430EXIIs for outdoor portraiture. I also have one 580EX and one 580EXII.

I typically use a white umbrella to shoot through. I trigger the flashes with the TTL Pocketwizards. I typically flank the person(s) with an umbrella/flash.

I would like to add a flash bracket, to add more flashes, for greater light output.

Can I use the 580s as the main flash (triggered by the PW), then set the 430s as slaves, while they are installed so close on a bracket?

Interfit makes a 3 flash bracket, and it will hold an umbrella.

Please give me some ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

I have a cheap triple-flash bracket, and its design made it difficult for me to set everything up correctly. However, I stumbled upon this Triple Threat flash bracket that I think it absolutely brilliant for what it does. It positions the lights so that they are evenly distributed around the umbrella for optimal results.

As for the 430s, if I understand the situation correctly, you'll need to trigger the first flash manually (not using ETTL) using the PW, and trigger the other flashes via optical slave. For just such a purpose, I use a this slave paired with this hotshoe connector for each flash that needs to be optically triggered.

Sean, that looks ideal for what I'm trying to do. In that link to the flash bracket, one of the photos shows 3 flashes on top of the PW TTL Flex. That looks pricey, compared to the optical slaves!

Thanks. Just what I'm looking for.

I use the interfit to gang 3 430's w/ pws and everthing fits well. the interfit is built like a tank and is its own umbrella bracket so its very versatile. I also love the adjustment handle on it. But it does look like the triple threat bracket probably distributes the light a little more evenly. As far as triggering goes, I use the wired approach vs optical. I can trigger up to three flashes from on pw using one flash on the pw and two hot shoes for the other two flashes. the hotshoe flashes are connected with cables to the flash port of thw PW. This seems to work well for me, but most of my shooting is confined to fairly small spaces. If you need to spread the lights out, then optical triggers or additional pws are the way to go.
    Bob