Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on pet photo shoot

Advice on pet photo shoot

My cousin has asked me to do a photo shoot with her two Yorkshire terriers. The shoot Will be in her home and could potentially get to the backyard. She wants to get some good portraits to blow up and frame in her home. Not knowing anything about pet portraits, I wanted to see if anyone had some advice on composition ideas. The gear I'll be taking with me will be a 5D2, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 3 speedlites, a couple of umbrellas w/ stands, and that's about it.

Do the dogs follow directions like "sit" and "stay" very well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Do the dogs follow directions like "sit" and "stay" very well?
    Not the best, but I think my cousin will be able to direct them a little.

I'll keep my tip simple: Get low.

It will generally provide a more pleasing perspective for little animals.

Photos with dogs running towards the camera, ideally outdoors, are usually nice. With the 5D2 you're either going to have to use the centre AF point in AI Servo or pre-focus.

Also, check out the "Post your Pets" thread in the Show & Tell forum for ideas.

Yorkies are the most adorable little dogs so anything you capture them doing is sure to be cute! If you or your cousin have any props be sure to use them, favorite toys, putting the little guys in a basket with front paws up on the rim of it, laying together in a puppy pillow bed are some ideas.

Oh, and most important ...don't forget to make weird noises so you get the adorable head tilt going ...LOL!!

I hope you will post photos from the shoot!

Thanks for the tips guys. Since it is for my cousin, I have a little more flexibility in my attempts, even if it takes me more than a day to get the best shots. Hopefully I can get something good in one session and I will try all of the suggestions you've listed. I'll post a few after the shoot this week.

Here are a couple from the shoot yesterday. Overall, I'd say a very successful shoot. My cousin was pretty happy with a lot of the shots we made.

Bella and Lola by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr

Bella and Lola by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr

Awesome! I think you did a great job!

SUPERB!!

Please fill us in on your set-up!