Thread: 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro vs ...

150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro vs ...

I'm eyeing a refurb of the 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro lens this morning. It looks like it is a darn good lens from what I've read of the reviews. It would give me added distance for skiddish insects, it looks like it may be a better lens than the Sigma 105mm EX DG OS HSM I have now (which I really like) and possibly the Canon 135mm(?).

Here is a link to some photos a guy posted on Amazon comparing the 150mm macro to the Canon 135mm f/2 (which I have and love).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...pdp_images_all

Only downside I have read is the bokeh isn't great with the 150mm macro but still ok. Plus, my huge main concern would be how fast it auto focuses if I were to use it on of course my running dogs and insects before they take off. As we all know, the 135mm focuses pretty darn fast!

So my thoughts ...
    Sell my beloved 105mm macro and my beloved 135mm and just have the Sigma 150mm macro refurb (if it isn't sold) to replace the two and still have $ left over!

Any input on my latest brainstorm would be greatly appreciated since I would have to act fast! Especially thoughts on the comparison photos the guy posted on amazon ...could the 150mm really be that much better!?

Sorry that the amazon link above doesn't bring you to the exact comparison shots of the 150mm vs. 135mm. I didn't realize it wouldn't. You would need to scroll to the 29th photo to see the start of his comparison shots. Sorry!

This guy uses both the non-OS and the current 150mm OS version of that lens your looking at (MVers Flickr Stream). I know he was once on here, but has since moved to fred miranda. He does great macro work. He has nothing but good things to say about the OS version. Worth every penny and when I upgrade, it is my next macro.

I really like my 105mm OS and it sounds like the 150mm OS version would have even better IQ.

Thanks for the link to his flickr stream Jayson!

Too bad the lenses I would sell have a rebate on them now
    Last edited by ddt0725; 07-26-2012 at 08:33 PM.