Thread: website options?

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

website options?

Zenfolio, smugmug, something else? how do you decide?

I have decided that its probably time to start a real website with my own domain. I have had a free website for several years and I think I have finally outgrown what it can offer. Mostly due to me trying to change gears a bit with my photography and photographing more people. So I need a site that people can easily find their pictures on and password protect certain galleries. Of course since I have yet to really make any money off of my photography, I don't want to start spending more than I need to on a website. So my question is this, what services does everyone use to host their website and what does everyone suggest?

I dont need anything too fancy, just my own domain, option to have protected galleries, possibly an option to buy photos directly through the webpage, best money to feature site.

Also, since I now have two totally different types of photography..nature/wildlife and people, should these be kept on seperate pages or will it be okay on the same website? I dont want to maintain two seperate sites but I also think it helps keep me looking more professional to keep them seperate. People looking at wildlife photos probably have no interest in photos of models/portraits and visa versa.

open to all opinions, suggestions etc.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    Zenfolio, smugmug, something else? how do you decide?
    I've been pretty happy with smugmug. $150/year buys you lots of flexibility, and you can often find a half off first year coupon. Their customer service is very responsive. The site is pretty customizable and it's easy to create unlisted or password protected albums. I also appreciate the aperture export plugin.

My annoyances with smugmug are (1) no iPad formatted site; (2) the URLs the share pics are ridiculous; and (3) the iPad app is TERRIBLE. I can't overstate how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    Also, since I now have two totally different types of photography..nature/wildlife and people, should these be kept on seperate pages or will it be okay on the same website?
    Is it your primary marketing tool, or a place to send clients once the photo shoot is done, or both?

Either way, for me, it wouldn't bother me or make me wonder to see that my photographer was talented in more than one area.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one! I compared them both, and they seemed to offer the same features, so I went with the less expensive one at the time which was Zenfolio, and I've been very happy with them.

They are both very customizable and you can use your own domain name as well. If you don't use your own domain name, then I prefer the Zenfolio name brand, because it just sounds more professional to me and less consumer oriented like smugmug, since many amateur or parent photographers have smugmug accounts (just my opinion).

Zenfolio also offers Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop plug-ins.

http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/tools/uploading.aspx

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    I If you don't use your own domain name, then I prefer the Zenfolio name brand, because it just sounds more professional to me and less consumer oriented.
    I agree. Always thought smugmug was a silly name.

Pros:
    I have been a smugmug PRO user for 4 years.
    It has evolved and I like it just fine.
    The best part for me is the ability to sell, set prices, and create packages.
    Their print quality is excellent.
    Delivery is fast.
    No problems.

Cons:
    You have to be computer savy to set it up.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    I agree. Always thought smugmug was a silly name.
    I also agree.

To me it looks like they are pretty darn similar, just about all the same features. The only thing I have read in many places is that smugmug has more options but is more difficult to set up.

anyone use something other than these two that I should consider?

Dont overlook the ability to sell 'packages' on the PRO SMUGMUG set up.
    It is the best part for me.

I have used their support staff and they are prompt and efficient.
    I have no plan to change.

By the way: storage is unlimited.