Thread: eBay purchases

eBay purchases

Does anyone buy camera equipment on eBay
    should I trust this ad?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body / 24-105 L Lens Kit - $3,064.98/$3,914.05 (Comp at $3,499.00/$4,299.00)
    eBay (via GetItDigital) has the Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera Body featured as a Daily Deal for $3,064.98 with free shipping. Plus, "You'll earn $61.30 in eBay Bucks."

Who is GetItDigital and how can they sell at this discount.
    Is this to be trusted.

My gut says to stick with my known sellers.

Any comments??
    Last edited by iND; 08-01-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    I have bought the majority of my gear off of ebay. Of course that is because I bought it all used to save a few bucks. I have dealt with fake postings on there before but ebay has buyers well protected and generally alway favor the buyer in the case of a dispute. With that said I still only buy from sellers with perfect feedback. (which that seller does). Ebay only seems to feature legit sellers for the daily deals so I would trust it. Plus ebay bucks are nice. Looking at that listing, I would buy from them without any hesitation.

With all that said, I still get nervous every time I buy something off of ebay.

I do a lot of searching on ebay, and GetItDigital is certainly known to me. There's a lot of shops like them that put up a lot (a *lot*) of stuff, with a lot of keywords, and probably sell a fair bit of it too. Mostly it's only low-value stuff, like filters, step rings, caps, etc, (that they put the names of lenses in, like 'filter for EF 100 lens' etc), and that's all.

Getitdigital themselves are a bit different, they seem to go a bit more on the genuine cameras and lenses. They claim to be 'location USA', but their business certainly operates like a lot of ebay shops in Hong Kong or Guang Zhou. Not that that's a bad thing. All it means is that they take very little profit per item to sell a lot more of them.
    Whether it's genuine USA (or wherever you live) stock, or whether it's grey imported from getting good deals in Asia, who knows? The ad you linked claims to be USA stock. Either way, the main thing to make sure of (at least for me) when sending $1k or more is whether they'll honour warranty, and if they do (without stupid things like 6-week return shipping and whatnot), then go for it. They've got over 35,000 satisfied customers so far, so they're certainly not a dodgy take-the-money-and-run place...

(as for those 'ebay bucks', i've never heard of them, it sounds like a store-credit voucher, use it if you want to)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Dr Croubie;73415
    (as for those 'ebay bucks', i've never heard of them, it sounds like a store-credit voucher, use it if you want to)[/QUOTE]

Ebay bucks is just a newer thing that ebay started. Its a cash back program on just about all purchases. And you can use that money on any item on ebay.

5% restock fee compared to no restock fee at other stores.

This camera is from a broken up kit. This way it could be sold as a used camera and avoid Canons price control over new bodies. I wouldn't even be suprised if the same vendor used the rebates to get a near free printer or other lens to increase his profit and further lower price.

So far this year I've spent about $1700 on three lenses that I purchased used from personal listings on eBay--and all have exceeded my expectations.