Thread: 3rd party tripod collars

3rd party tripod collars

Does any one have experience with or could recommend a 3rd party tripod collar? I have been looking at getting one for my 70-200mm f4L IS for some time, but I wouldn't use it that much and cannot justify the expense of the Canon model. Also, I believe my old 100mm macro USM and it have the same collar size (crosses fingers).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jayson

Hi, I bought a 3rd party tripod mount for my 70-200/4 IS for a lot less than the original part and I'm happy with it. I don't use it too frequently so I can't really judge durability, but on the other hand it's only a piece of aluminium regardless of you buy the original or a third party version. (Maybe they're actually manufactured at the same place but sold under different brands - I don't know.) I bought mine on e-bay but I dont remember from where. There are several sellers of this product on e-bay - just pick one you feel comfortable with.

PS. The tripod mount doesn't fit my macro lens (100/2.8 L IS), maybe the non-IS version is slightly smaller. DS.

Yep - bought one for my 70-200mm f/4L IS as well a few years back. Never had an issue with it except the paint was a bit softer than on the lens. MUCH cheaper than the OEM Canon part.

I probably still have it somewhere as I sold the lens without it. If you're in Australia I'll send it to you for nothing.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    Yep - bought one for my 70-200mm f/4L IS as well a few years back. Never had an issue with it except the paint was a bit softer than on the lens. MUCH cheaper than the OEM Canon part.

I probably still have it somewhere as I sold the lens without it. If you're in Australia I'll send it to you for nothing.
    I wish I was in Australia! It it beautiful there...here nothing but corn and hayfields. I live in the midwest of the US so it wouldn't probably work for shipping. Thank you very much for the offer! I'll check on e-bay and give it a go. Thanks for the input everyone.

Let me know how it works out...I've been considering the same for my 70-200 f4 IS. And I also have the non-L 100 USM macro. Be interesting to know if it fits....

Stephen