Thread: Oh I am so easily amused - Android tether app for Canon

Oh I am so easily amused - Android tether app for Canon

My not quite powerful enough cell phone went for a swim yesterday - lets just say there was no moment to ponder the idea of taking it out of my pocket.

Picked up the new Samsung Galaxy IIIs and the Chainfire DSLR controller for EOS cameras.

Another giggle and snort moment to be able to drive the camera from the phone, even if tethered.

Manual focus, auto focus, all the settings that are available from the Quick menu for the mode wheel position (at least on my T3i), and of course take a picture, view it on the phone screen (which the galaxy has a nice one)

I can see it making low level macro shots much easier, etc. It doesn't appear to be fast enough to use as a remote monitor for movies - but it is a great start.

I have downloaded the Magic Lantern android app but not have a chance to play with it as of yet.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

let me know how it goes, just got the galaxy s3, amazing phone

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Chainfire works wonderfully - I haven't tried the magic lantern stuff yet.

I used the Chainfire DSLR Controller app on my [highly modified] Kindle Fire running to a 5D Mark II with ML installed. It did work, however, I had to completely restore the tablet after playing with the app because the device wouldn't turn on without doing a custom recovery. I don't know whether the app or the ICS ROM I installed was to blame. I simply gave up after that.

Truth it, I wanted it to work because I loved the novelty of the idea. Truth is, though, it's not something I would even find use for on a regular basis, so it's not that great of a loss.

I'm looking forward to what they do with the app in the future, though.

I agree there is a novelty thing about it, though I could see someone several steps more technical than me (most everyone) connect the USB to some sort of network device that allows for remote viewing, triggering, etc. Or if I were way into macro work that was tripod based. Would it be all that useful in a studio setting - things are pretty well controlled and android tablet displays aren't known for their high end photo realistic resolution, etc, etc. probably just connect it to a real computer.