Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Supertele choices

John,

Shouldn't we be able to use Live View for auto focus for f/8 or greater max aperture for stationary birds using a tripod?

Since 1000mm-1200mm is too long for BIF, it would still be nice to get some long range static shots with this combo.

Yes, live view will work. I've done that with the 2xII and my 100-400 at f/11.

Hi Richard, I used live view with the 500mm II and the 2X to shoot wading herons. I used the 1st magnification setting. It worked fine as far as getting in focus shots but was pretty challenging to execute - would be pretty easy with a stationary subject. I needed IS mode I to calm vibrations from the wind enough to focus too. This was the only way I could get a manually focused in focus image - I just couldn't do it through the viewfinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    John,

Shouldn't we be able to use Live View for auto focus for f/8 or greater max aperture for stationary birds using a tripod?

Since 1000mm-1200mm is too long for BIF, it would still be nice to get some long range static shots with this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Yes, live view will work. I've done that with the 2xII and my 100-400 at f/11.
    One thing that I really liked about the 1D IV, it is much easier to shoot in manual AF than it is with the 7D or 5D II. A lot crisper view. If you haven't tried any shots in manual mode with the 1D X yet you might be pleasantly surprised. I have read it is supposed to be the best yet as far as digital goes. With the 1D IV I wouldn't completely miss AF with a 2x extender on it, manual would suffice. I would miss it for moving objects though.

@Joel, I also wish the new bodies handled center AF f/8 maximum aperture, but couldn't you still use that combo in live view mode for "stationary" birds on a tripod at 1000mm-1200mm?

Rich
    Yes you could and I have used manual focus on the 1D4 at 1000mm because AF had trouble with the specific circumstance....low light, small bird standing in rushing water. Probably for anyone who concentrates on birds more focal length is better, I do not own a 1DX (yet) but I think using the new 600 or the 800 would be the way to go for birds.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    . I just need to figure out if the 600 II is actually handholdable for me, or if the small weight reduction with the 500 II makes that much of a difference. It's the difference between 12.7 lbs and 11 lbs - not sure if that's meaningful. Note that when I refer to 'handholding' the mostly means walking around with it on a Blackrapid strap and lifting for shots along the way. With my 100-400mm, I often bring a monopod (would need to replace the Manfrotto 234 tilt head with something like the RRS MH-02 for the increased load), and use that when I'm going to be in one place for a while.
    I hand hold the 500 very frequently. I have not been on any long treks but I walked around Fort DeSoto beach with it for a few hours, no strap, monopod or anything. I just hold it by the foot and carry it around but I do switch hands occassionally. As long as you stop and take some shots or set it down briefly on your knee it's very do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Richard, I used live view with the 500mm II and the 2X to shoot wading herons. . This was the only way I could get a manually focused in focus image - I just couldn't do it through the viewfinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    With the 1D IV I wouldn't completely miss AF with a 2x extender on it, manual would suffice. I would miss it for moving objects though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Yes you could and I have used manual focus on the 1D4 at 1000mm because AF had trouble with the specific circumstance....low light, small bird standing in rushing water.

Thanks guys!

Just to clarify, I was referring to using "Auto-Focus" via Live Mode on the LCD at a max lens aperture of f/8 or smaller, and all of your responses were that Manual-Focusing in live view @1000mm was not a problem.

So, it sounds like the answer is no, that AF won't work whether it's in live view mode or through the VF. I wasn't sure if live view would be more sensitive than manually focusing with the VF.

Rich

Last edited by Richard Lane; 08-06-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Contrast detect AF works at any max aperture, f/8, f/11, etc., as long there's sufficient contrast. How fast it works, that's a different story.

So, you could Auto-Focus by pressing the AF-ON or shutter-button and Auto-focus with Contrast detect which is slower and what Live View uses, as opposed to the more accurate phase detect? Plus you also have manual focus with the focus ring.

Thanks John, that's the point I was trying to discuss!

Thanks guys!

Just to clarify, I was referring to using "Auto-Focus" via Live Mode on the LCD at a max lens aperture of f/8 or smaller, and all of your responses were that Manual-Focusing in live view @1000mm was not a problem.

So, it sounds like the answer is no, that AF won't work wether it's in live view mode or through the VF. I wasn't sure if live view would be more sensitive than the VF an possibly work, but if it uses the same AF sensors then I guess the answer is no.

Rich

Rich, my comments really weren't aimed at this. I was saying based on focusing with the view you see in the view finder, with or without confirmation. Just on how crisp your subject is from just what you see, kind of like the film days before AF existed. I have had pretty good luck shooting wildlife in the bushes doing this. Live View not used in the scenario, although it could be. The 1D IV does very well in manual through the viewfinder and I have heard the 1D X is even better.