Thread: EF 40mm Product Advisory

EF 40mm Product Advisory

Thanks Bryan, I nearly missed it otherwise:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=2822

My only question to Canon is with this line:
    "The firmware to address this phenomenon will be available for download in late August, 2012."

I hope they're talking about lens firmware (although they're probably not, seeing as the Big White firmware has to be done at a repair centre).
    I've never had the problem on my 7D, but it's been fairly common on my EOS 3. Can I get a firmware for that please?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I think this is a return to Canon Repair Centre fix.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    I think this is a return to Canon Repair Centre fix.
    Don't think so: "The firmware to address this phenomenon will be available for download in late August, 2012. Once this firmware is ready, we will make an announcement on our Web site."

I would seem reasonable that a lens firmware update could be applied via EOS Utility or transferred via CF/SD card, with the lens mounted. I do wonder why the supertele lenses need to be sent in?

But it may be a body firmware update in this case, since the workaround is mount/unmount lens or remove/replace camera battery.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I do wonder why the supertele lenses need to be sent in?
    The only thing that I could think of is that the Superteles are worth a lot more, if someone borks them from installing their own firmware it's a lot more expensive to replace (although they could try to argue 'user error', but they'd be trying to keep Big White owners happy). Borking a Pancake on firmware upgrade, they can argue 'user error' against people with less investment, and even if they do replace it at the end of the day, it won't cost them as much as repairing a Big White.

All that said though, it's more than likely a Camera Firmware issue. But then they'd need 8 or 9 firmwares for all current(ish) cameras (including the M). So maybe it is Lensware after all?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos