Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, hold the laughter ...ME a wedding photographer!???

Thanks for the info guys! I will keep most of the editing simple with a few photos done both simple and with a little more time spent on them. I will try your suggested settings, Mark and see how it goes from there! I just ordered an omni for the 430ex II yesterday since I only had one for the 580.

When we were at the venue, the guy only had yellow lights on and said the red will be much more intense! I could see yellow going across only the upper half of the gtb's face and it did give me a sense of what challenges lie ahead! It will be interesting ...red bridemaids dresses with red lights! I just hope the brides face isn't red when she sees the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! I will keep most of the editing simple with a few photos done both simple and with a little more time spent on them. I will try your suggested settings, Mark and see how it goes from there! I just ordered an omni for the 430ex II yesterday since I only had one for the 580.

When we were at the venue, the guy only had yellow lights on and said the red will be much more intense! I could see yellow going across only the upper half of the gtb's face and it did give me a sense of what challenges lie ahead! It will be interesting ...red bridemaids dresses with red lights! I just hope the brides face isn't red when she sees the photos!
    Again depending on the room I have been able to get away with f5.6. If you can get away with that it may blockout the red better. If you can get in the venue again before the wedding for some more testing.
    Mark

Denise,
    The other thread reminded me to inform you about the auto assist beam on your flash. I find that without it I would greatly struggle to get AF to lock on a subject during the reception, mainly when the dancing starts and the lights go way down. Even with my 1D I find it slow with any lens I use. I noticed the beam from my 580EX and EXII gets spread more on my 1D than on my 5D. When it spreads more it is not as bright which causes problems when the lights go down. If I choose the center AF point on my 1D the beam is the same as with my 5D and this helps. I am not sure how it works with the 7D. I would suggest trying it out in your largest room with the lights off so you are only locking with the AF beam to see how it works in all different AF modes. During the dancing I have to learn to anticipate the lag time. I do get many shots of the couples backside because they are moving faster than I anticipate. During the dance take lots and lots of shots here because your keeper rate will go down. Make sure you load a fresh set of batteries before the dance starts.
    Do lots of testing to gain some confidence.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Denise,
    The other thread reminded me to inform you about the auto assist beam on your flash. I find that without it I would greatly struggle to get AF to lock on a subject during the reception, mainly when the dancing starts and the lights go way down. Even with my 1D I find it slow with any lens I use. I noticed the beam from my 580EX and EXII gets spread more on my 1D than on my 5D. When it spreads more it is not as bright which causes problems when the lights go down. If I choose the center AF point on my 1D the beam is the same as with my 5D and this helps. I am not sure how it works with the 7D. I would suggest trying it out in your largest room with the lights off so you are only locking with the AF beam to see how it works in all different AF modes. During the dancing I have to learn to anticipate the lag time. I do get many shots of the couples backside because they are moving faster than I anticipate. During the dance take lots and lots of shots here because your keeper rate will go down. Make sure you load a fresh set of batteries before the dance starts.
    Do lots of testing to gain some confidence.
    Mark, the information you have provided is going to be sooo helpful with getting me through this! Of course, if I don't freeze and all knowledge goes out the window!

I am pretty sick with a head cold & bad cough right now but hopefully I will feel better in a day or two and then I plan to go full steam ahead with practicing in a dim room as you have suggested and outdoors, etc! I haven't used my speedlights real regularly in the past but by Sept. 20th or so, I am hoping they will be my bff!!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Of course, if I don't freeze and all knowledge goes out the window!
    If that happens just have a couple of beers to thaw it out
    Those receptions with an open bar are great
    But if you partake too much you may start chopping heads off
    Mark

Moved to SoCal early 60's. Near the beach. Lucky, I guess. Blessed is more like it.
    Simple. Don't do it. Your desire/need for income should never override your judgement or the best interests of others. A wedding is, for most people, the most wonderful day in their lives; perhaps next only to the birth of a child. It is also, for this couple, a one-time only event! If you screw it up it's gone forever. They deserve a true professional. If you want to be a wedding photographer it would be wonderful for you to apprentice with a professional for a year or two. Trying to become a wedding photographer on a real wedding would be wrong no matter how nice your photos. Wedding photography is a whole lot more than being able to capture nice photographs. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    Simple. Don't do it. Your desire/need for income should never override your judgement or the best interests of others. A wedding is, for most people, the most wonderful day in their lives; perhaps next only to the birth of a child. It is also, for this couple, a one-time only event! If you screw it up it's gone forever. They deserve a true professional. If you want to be a wedding photographer it would be wonderful for you to apprentice with a professional for a year or two. Trying to become a wedding photographer on a real wedding would be wrong no matter how nice your photos. Wedding photography is a whole lot more than being able to capture nice photographs. Good luck.
    I would recommend that you look at some of Denise’s work before throwing cold water over somebody. If Denise did not have a photographers eye and the talent to make this a great event, then nobody here would be encouraging or providing assistance.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Welcome Slim, this couple sought Denise out for their special day. She didn't go looking for them. And she has explained her experience level to them. Her wedding package price reflects her experience level and was another deciding factor for the couple.
    What Denise has going for her, is a very high technical skill level, an artistic and photographic eye that is better than a lot of so-called "pros". She also has an incredible thirst for knowledge and the aptitude to then apply that information. She has terrific communication skills and has already developed an easy going professional relationship with the wedding couple.
    Everyone needs to start somewhere, this appears to be the perfect starting place for Denise and the young couple.
    I also wish her luck and know she will do a fantastic job.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    I would recommend that you look at some of Denise’s work before throwing cold water over somebody. If Denise did not have a photographers eye and the talent to make this a great event, then nobody here would be encouraging or providing assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Welcome Slim, this couple sought Denise out for their special day. She didn't go looking for them. And she has explained her experience level to them. Her wedding package price reflects her experience level and was another deciding factor for the couple.
    What Denise has going for her, is a very high technical skill level, an artistic and photographic eye that is better than a lot of so-called "pros". She also has an incredible thirst for knowledge and the aptitude to then apply that information. She has terrific communication skills and has already developed an easy going professional relationship with the wedding couple.
    Everyone needs to start somewhere, this appears to be the perfect starting place for Denise and the young couple.
    I also wish her luck and know she will do a fantastic job.
    Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    My first thought was to not even respond to this but it was bothering me that your remarks could have others thinking that I would actually put my need for income ahead of the best interests of anyone! It takes a lot of guts to make a statement like that about another person that you don't even know!

What a beautiful world it would be if everyone could afford a true professional photographer on their wedding day! In especially today's world, that is not always the case! Maybe they would rather have me than just grandma with her p&s or their friend with their iphone! Maybe just maybe, I will be able to do better than that and I am all they could afford other than nothing at all! I am not "trying" to become a wedding photographer nor do I want to be, I am trying to help a couple out that wouldn't take no for an answer! I live with the fact everyday that I might screw this up and then it's gone forever for them but it won't be because I just wanted to pocket the money and run!

Yes, you are right Slim, they are a very sweet couple and they do deserve a true professional ...are you volunteering to do it for $475!? PM me your information and I will forward it to them, I'm sure they will be thrilled!

I am extremely ill right now with possible pneumonia but everyday and night I am still reading everything I can, watching videos and practicing to get this down as well as I can so I don't think I will fail from lack of caring. Thanks for your post, now that I have you waiting in the wings for me to screw up, I am even more determined!