Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, hold the laughter ...ME a wedding photographer!???

The photographers at my daughter's wedding (E Studio, Lousiville) had a written list of the images they wanted and they literally checked 'em off the list as they went along. This didn't include all the impropmtu images they got at the reception or as guests were arriving at the church.

The only signs here are that, you might get some hummingbird shots, and you better hide your cheese.
    If it bothers you, you can do the following;
    Sit around and wait for the hummingbird, if it shows up once it will be back.
    Set out mouse traps, buy a cat to catch it, or for a complete change in direction feed the mice and take their pictures. It is all good, whichever makes you the happiest.

Other than that go for the wedding thing. Whatever you have already told her, just stick with it. Changing things already agreed to can sour the situation. Lessons learned here can be corrected at the next wedding.

Kudos, Denise. Could be the start of a new career. As Jayson said, make sure you have a contract and that you make it clear in the contract that this is your first wedding and she understands your experience level.

This guy produces some amazing images. You might look through his stuff for ideas.

Looking forward to the pics.
    Mark - Flickr

Denise, shooting skills aside, you're going to need an assistant. And, you're going to need strobes. On camera flash will not do it. Hauling this stuff around is hard work, and if you're doing it all by yourself, you'll soon realize that you're in over your head. Often, weddings begin in the early to mid mornings (preliminary shooting) and then get progressively more intense as the day wears on. It's all about lighting and composition, and if you are trying to lug equipment around an unfamiliar room or church, it will be very tough. Plus, rounding up all the relatives....whew, it's like herding cats! And, all the while the clock is ticking.

Lighting, lighting, lighting! Sean knows all about this, as do Mark and others who use strobes for this sort of thing.

Trust me, you'll be totally exhausted when it's all over, but I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    She absolutely fell in love with all of my photos I have posted online and wants me to do it!
    Congrats Denise. Remember how long you struggled with the idea of even putting your stuff out there? And look at how having a website and an add on CL has paid off. Don't get too hung up on this decision either. I've told this before, and I'm going to tell you again, you need to get out of your own way!

A few suggestions for the wedding:

1) Have a duplicate (backup) for everything--that includes cameras, lenses, flashes, batteries, memory cards, etc.

2) Along the same lines, hire (or beg, borrow, or steal) a competent second photographer. Never try to shoot a wedding by yourself. There are too many vitally important moments during a wedding / wedding reception to risk having only one photographer. Plus, it works well when one photographer has a telephoto lens and the other a wide angle lens to capture two completely different perspectives of the same event.

3) If possible, scout out the ceremony / reception location ahead of time (assuming it's not terribly far away). Proper planning and preparation can make a significant difference on the big day.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Denise, shooting skills aside, you're going to need an assistant. And, you're going to need strobes. On camera flash will not do it. Hauling this stuff around is hard work, and if you're doing it all by yourself, you'll soon realize that you're in over your head. Often, weddings begin in the early to mid mornings (preliminary shooting) and then get progressively more intense as the day wears on. It's all about lighting and composition, and if you are trying to lug equipment around an unfamiliar room or church, it will be very tough. Plus, rounding up all the relatives....whew, it's like herding cats! And, all the while the clock is ticking.

Lighting, lighting, lighting! Sean knows all about this, as do Mark and others who use strobes for this sort of thing.

Trust me, you'll be totally exhausted when it's all over, but I wish you well.
    Thanks for the very truthful post and although she told me that they didn't want too many pre-ceremony shots and my daughter would be assisting throughout the day and evening, you are correct that I am over my head! I only have two speedlights, not a nice strobe set-up by any means. I had thought one speedlight on my flash bracket using either my omni-bounce, the ceiling, my small on-camera softbox or my flash bender would suffice for some of it. I could have also set up my larger softbox or umbrella on a stand with the other flash for portraits but maybe my entire thinking is wrong. For lenses, I thought I could use my Sigma 17-50mm & 50-150mm but also bring along my Canon 135mm and 50mm 1.8 II. I would buy some reflectors and an extra card. Rental would be a 7d and a 35mm possibly.

BUT ...yep, over my head indeed and I will be talking to her again later and declining the offer. I didn't go looking for this right off the bat, it just sort of fell in my lap and I guess I got caught up in it for awhile there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    A few suggestions for the wedding:

1) Have a duplicate (backup) for everything--that includes cameras, lenses, flashes, batteries, memory cards, etc.

2) Along the same lines, hire (or beg, borrow, or steal) a competent second photographer. Never try to shoot a wedding by yourself. There are too many vitally important moments during a wedding / wedding reception to risk having only one photographer. Plus, it works well when one photographer has a telephoto lens and the other a wide angle lens to capture two completely different perspectives of the same event.

3) If possible, scout out the ceremony / reception location ahead of time (assuming it's not terribly far away). Proper planning and preparation can make a significant difference on the big day.
    Thank you Sean for the advice. The wedding and reception is less about 5 minutes from my house so checking things out beforehand would not be a problem at all.

I am just not in a financial position whatsoever to put more money into this than I would be making so hiring a second shooter would be out of the question once I use the income generated from it to pay for the rentals and extra cards etc. It would be great if I could but my unemployment check just won't stretch far enough.

Denise,

It's ok to pass on this now, because this was only your first opportunity but it won't be your last. Other offers will come along. So, you should take this time to prepare for your next opportunity. Since you have some time now, why don't you answer some ads for yourself, to be a 2nd wedding shooter, or assistant.

Remember, luck is when preparation meets oppurtunity!

Rich

I have slept through most of this Denise. Just do it. There is great advice over the last three pages read it, use it, don't panic. This girl has picked you for the right reasons, her reasons. She wants you, you have the skill. Do it.
    Your lighting will get you through. You'll need another body and another lens you can make this happen.
    And it will be exactly what this young bride wants.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur