Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, hold the laughter ...ME a wedding photographer!???

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Only thing I can think of for a back-up shooter is posting for one on craigslist of someone willing to do it for free for the experience and check out their work to make sure they aren't any worse than myself. If so, then I assume a contract between him and myself is necessary (?)
    For years I did not have a backup shooter. My wife now is my backup shooter. I finally talked her into it a couple of years ago. She refuses to learn the technical side of things so I just setup a camera with flash bracket, 580EX and omni-bounce. She shoots lots with a keeper rate of ~30%. She has an eye for things that I sometimes miss and ends up with some great shots. If there is a balcony I set her up with a camera on tripod during the ceremony. I am sure your daughter could do the same if willing. Just tell her to shoot everything. When shooting posed shots my wife helps make sure hair, jewelry, etc... is straight and looking good. I am sure your daughter can also help here as well.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    I take 3000-4000 shots on in a 10 hour day.

Keeper rate can is usually 5-10/100
    that puts thing in perspective for me- you shoot more in 3 days than I've shot in my life

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post

Another piece of advice is modern weddings are SHORT
    if you blink you may miss it.

On a recent wedding once the bride and groom were on the altar, I got some mom and dad shots then moved to the other side of the church.
    Before I got there the new bride and groom were being introduced.

For you first wedding it would be really nice if you had some sort of back up shooter.
    With this in mind it will be a good idea to get an idea of how long the ceremony is- maybe goto dress rehersal?

Any suggestions on how to handle this scenerio?
    Not sure. The shot of mine on the dock had the sun camera left and had just set so it was not harsh. This time of day is challenging since the light is changing so fast.
    Mark

+1 on Kombi suggestion on going to the rehearsal. Attend the rehearsals and shoot photographs at the rehearsal also. That way at least you'll be a little familiar with the whole process that the person presiding will go through. Doesn't hurt to chat with that person either about what their rules during the ceremony are either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    +1 on Kombi suggestion on going to the rehearsal. Attend the rehearsals and shoot photographs at the rehearsal also. That way at least you'll be a little familiar with the whole process that the person presiding will go through.
    Remember the rehearsal may be at a different time of day, so the lighting will be different.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Good suggestions!! Please keep them coming! I'm alittle brain dead tonight but tomorrow, I am going to go through this thread and jot down notes and take it with me when I meet with them ..it will help tremendously!

I will list here what I have for gear so everyone has a clear idea what I have to work with. I think I am well covered except for cards and a second camera.

7d - it has a lot of usage on it but still ticking! I will probably rent another but a 5d II sure would be nice! Then again, I have to check which of my lenses are only good on crop bodies first!

Canon lenses - (all sales currently on hold btw) 135mmL 2.0, 50mm 1.8 II
    Sigma lenses - 17-50mm 2.8 OS, 50-150mm 2.8 OS, 105mm 2.8 OS macro
    (1) 580exII, (1) 430ex II
    1 lightstand, 1 tripod
    Yongnuo flash triggers
    1 canon remote switch for a 7d
    Wimberley Combo 1 flash bracket
    1 soft box, one shoot through umbrella, one on-camera soft box, one rogue flash bender, one Sto-fen omni-bounce
    2 camera batteries
    (1) 16GB, (2) 8GB cards
    plenty of flash batteries but will still buy more

That's it for gear! I have one assistant that so far coaxing into shooting hasn't worked but still working on it!
    Last edited by ddt0725; 08-09-2012 at 04:40 AM.

i'm thinking should you shoot in raw or raw+jpeg? if so, you might need bigger cards.

Good suggestions!! Please keep them coming! I'm alittle brain dead tonight but tomorrow, I am going to go through this thread and jot down notes and take it with me when I meet with them ..it will help tremendously!

I will list here what I have for gear so everyone has a clear idea what I have to work with. I think I am well covered except for cards and a second camera.

7d - it has a lot of usage on it but still ticking! I will probably rent another but a 5d II sure would be nice! Then again, I have to check which of my lenses are only good on crop bodies first!

Canon lenses - (all sales currently on hold btw) 135mmL 2.0, 50mm 1.8 II
    Sigma lenses - 17-50mm 2.8 OS, 50-150mm 2.8 OS, 105mm 2.8 OS macro
    (1) 580exII, (1) 430ex II
    1 lightstand, 1 tripod
    Yongnuo flash triggers
    1 canon remote switch for a 7d
    Wimberley Combo 1 flash bracket
    1 soft box, one shoot through umbrella, one on-camera soft box, one rogue flash bender, one Sto-fen omni-bounce
    2 camera batteries
    (1) 16GB, (2) 8GB cards
    plenty of flash batteries but will still buy more

That's it for gear! I have one assistant that so far coaxing into shooting hasn't worked but still working on it!
    Looks like you have nearly everything you need to me. You will need another body, the 5DII would be awesome if you can get some time with it beforehand so you are familiar, if not get another 7D.

You will need 2 more flashes and one more light stand so you can have 2 remote and one on each camera.

I think you can do the shoot with with your Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS and the Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS on two bodies and not have to worry about switching lenses.

I would suggest having a total of 6 16Gb cards if possible.

If I lived nearby I would be glad to help you out just for the fun of it

Denise,

If you have decided to go for the wedding I am sure you will be able to do it. My thoughts:

* Do not think to much about the equipment. In my opinion you have all that you need.

* It is all about expectations. ( The customers expectations, that is. Yours can be different. ) You do not have to be a star photographer or produce star results. When you talk to the bride you will findd out what her expectations are.

You have 5 weeks and that should be enough time to make the neccesary preparations, visit the location and envision the end result. I am sure you will do just fine! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Looks like you have nearly everything you need to me. You will need another body, the 5DII would be awesome if you can get some time with it beforehand so you are familiar, if not get another 7D.

You will need 2 more flashes and one more light stand so you can have 2 remote and one on each camera.

I think you can do the shoot with with your Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS and the Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS on two bodies and not have to worry about switching lenses.

I would suggest having a total of 6 16Gb cards if possible.

If I lived nearby I would be glad to help you out just for the fun of it
    4 more 16GB cards, two more flashes (with triggers), one more light stand, another 7d plus pay my assistant something!? Wow! Not only will I be doing this for free but I won't be able to make my car payment for a month!

For the fun of it? Can I rent the fun for free?