Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, hold the laughter ...ME a wedding photographer!???

Agree with Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rasmussen View Post
    Memory cards from the Netherlands meets an American 7D and goes to a wedding together. I am sure the results will be exotic! :-)
    Shhh...don't take away the surprise yet, my memory-cards come decorated with wooden shoes, tulips and mills on them.

Addition: I also think you could do this with minimal costs. In your case a second camera is purely for back-up purposes unless you have a second photographer. A second camera could also be a simple point and shoot or a very basic DSLR. I have seen photographers using just one camera at a wedding. Yes it is at a little risk, but what's the total failure-risk anyway? And if you get to that scenario, there will probably be someone of the family that is happy to lend you his/her camera for the time being.
    I think your current gear should be good enough to cope with an event like this. Since you stressed to the couple that you're doing this for the first time I doubt they have spectecularly high expectations.
    Last edited by Sheiky; 08-09-2012 at 02:47 PM.

I agree, don't decline...if the budget doesn't work for all the gear suggested, just make do with what you have and pocket the money.

PS You can rent a 7D for 3 days from Lensrentals.com for $70

I would do that and use your existing gear otherwise

Unfortunately Campbellsville,Ky to Kenosha,Wi is a bit of stretch (441 miles) for a one day commute and back

I would also offer you the use of memory cards, no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    PS You can rent a 7D for 3 days from Lensrentals.com for $70

I would do that and use your existing gear otherwise
    And $15.00 more gets you two 8GB cards. Then you have enough memory. You will make the $85.00 in just over an hour to pay for this. Not enough down side here to back away from the job.

The lesson here is this, next time you bid a job you will know to put an adder in for this extra small expense. Dozens of ways to do this next time, charge an equipment fee per hour, add to your hourly charge. Charge a fee for set up, with an explanation that it is for additional equipment you need.

You learned the lesson because you took it this far. Imagine what you will learn if you continue on with this project .
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 08-09-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Denise,

Congrats on shooting your 1st wedding. First off, the best advice you'll receive will be from both clemmb & iND. There are some others on this board that have dipped their toes in the wedding pool but these two guys actively shoot. I have close to 20 weddings under my belt but I am much less active than I used to be.

Gear: Use what you have and what you know. You'll need one more body. I'd rent another 7D. Weddings move quickly. You don't have time to react. You'll need to make changes on the fly. Use what you know.

Like iND said, he can shoot 90% of a wedding with just one lens. In your case that will be your 17-50mm 2.8 OS. I would have that on one body and your 50-150mm 2.8 OS on the other. That's really all you "need". I would also have your 430EX on one body and your 580EX on another. Leave your light stands and triggers at home. That is way more than you'll want to/be able to deal with on your first gig. Practice controlling flash with bounce. You'd be surprised what you can do with on-camera flash. Not everyone starts off being Jerry Ghionis. No flash allowed at the church, that's fine, crank up the ISO and shoot wide open. OS will serve you better than your faster glass will. Although weddings move quickly, during the ceremony, people don't. You can shoot as slow as 1/50 with good results. Your 135mm f/2 on your 7D will require >= 1/200 to handhold. That's the difference between ISO 1600 and ISO 6400. Although, use enough ISO to get the shot. Grainy = better than Blurry! You can use your primes for creative DoF shots but your bread and butter will be your 17-50mm 2.8 OS. You can use your macro for ring shots.

Memory Cards: Grab 2 more 8GB cards and you should be set. I usually use 4 cards for a wedding and I shoot RAW. I'll swap out the 1st 2 cards after the ceremony and then use the last 2 for the reception. I now use two bodies at the reception but I used to only shoot one. Lugging two bodies all day is exhausting. It's neccesary for the ceremony though. You can sneaker zoom at the reception but you do not want to be obtrusive at the ceremony.

Batteries: Have at least two sets of batteries for each flash (in your case >=16). Charge them the night before. Also, have >= 2 batteries for each camera body. You "should" be able to shoot an entire wedding without having to swap batteries in both your camera and flashes but you can't rely on should. Why will your batteries last all night? Because you are shooting at f/2.8 - f/4 most of the time and >= ISO 800 to ensure quick recycle times.

So what do you need? (1) 7D ($75 for 4 days from lensrentals.com) (2) extra camera batteries ($30 = $15x2 for 4 days from lensrentals.com) (2) 8GB CF Cards ($15 = $7.50x2 for 4 days from lensrentals.com) for a grand total of $120. Based on your hourly rate you're back in the black after the 2nd hour.

Lastly: Chase light, compose, think about what you should exclude from your compositions more than what you should include, have fun :-)

PS: Pack some snacks (banana, granola bar, bottled water, etc) They may feed you but eat when you can and stay hydrated.

+1 for Mark.
    Denise this is again becoming too complicated. On camera flash will be plenty good enough for your first wedding, it will work everytime.
    It is all well and good to appreciate all the well intended advice from people that have shot 1 wedding to people that have shot 1000 weddings. But this is your first wedding and your client wanted you, because she has an idea that you are the best fit for her. You don't need to change. You don't need to be overwhelmed for your first wedding. Just be prepared, use what you have and be yourself, that is what your client will want.
    Go and watch a wedding in the park, you will be surprised how simple it looks. You have the gear(one extra body will be a sensible backup), you have the skills, that will create the confidence and then all you need is the personality. We know you have that and obviously your client thinks that already.
    You can do this, easy.

I hope your bride doesn't read this forum, LOL.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thank you, Mark for all the advice! I would rent the 7d for sure but it does take an additional $29 in shipping just for the camera so the camera and two cards would be $135.50 and $10/hr. to my assistant. So if they only want me for 5 hours, I would walk away with $140 before deducting the cost of the reflectors I buy. To be honest, I didn't realize this until I just typed it!

Well, I am still waiting for an email or call back from her. I am planning to at least meet with them & discuss their expectations and my limited capabilities in detail and take it from there. I think I have jumped too far ahead into planning the main event without full knowledge of what the main event (for me) will consist of.

There is a few pluses to this that are a blessing for me as a beginner. It is not in a church and then in a reception hall. It all takes place in the same house 5 mins from my house, 5 mins from the outdoor photo shoot. Less travel and less time wasted on traveling, also less carting of gear.

I get the impression they are on a very tight budget and will not want the whole 9 yards from me. She already said they wouldn't want pre-ceremony photos.
    There are plenty of other photographers they could choose from if they wanted more than what I will be able to deliver. They know I am inexperienced and they know I will be shooting alone but that I will deliver the best possible results that I can.

If they still want to move forward, I will want to set up a session with them at the place if possible for some "free of charge" practice run shots and also by the lake one hour before sunset which is the approximate time we would be there on the big day.

I am going to try and get by with my 7d and a rented 7d (my sigmas are only for crop sensor cameras) and the two rented 8gb cards. I will bring the 17-50mm, 50-150mm, 105mm macro. My Sigmas have been ok for my use so I am somewhat nervous of putting 100% confidence in them.

I am going to go with one tripod and the two flashes I have one directly on camera and the other on the flash bracket. I'll use my sto-fen and possibly the on-camera soft-box. If worse comes to worse, I will have the one light stand and softbox in the car if I end up needing them.

I am thinking of bringing the flex arm and super clamp for more direction lighting of the rings and flowers, I can always attach it to the tripod leg. Thoughts?

I am thinking I will buy handheld reflectors in case I need them.

My assistant has also said she will be my second shooter but just if she's set up off to the side somewhere using the tripod and catching any miscellaneous shots during the reception. So I will give her the 50-150mm and let her shoot away if I don't need her with me.

I'll go with my two camera batteries and charger and just charge up one as needed (if needed). The second camera won't even be getting turned on until the reception. The rental comes with a batter also. That should be plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post

I hope your bride doesn't read this forum, LOL.
    OMG! I am doomed if she does!

Denise,
    When I shot my first two weddings, film, I shot with one camera and 20 rolls of film, 6x4.5, so that was only 300 shots. I had an old TLR(twin lens reflex) as my backup and two strobes on a flash bracket. Since your my age roughly, maybe a little younger, I bet you remember TLRs. I shot weddings this way for a couple of years. Had to pick up my TLR one time because my winder broke on my Bronica. I had so many inquiries for weddings that I was turning them away, only did 6 a year at that time. My only advertisement was word of mouth. People told me thay wanted me because of my passion. I suspect that is why she wants you while knowing its your first time. She sees your passion in your work.
    Take the wedding with what you have, just be up front with your customer, which sounds like you are. I think I would opt for the 7D rental mainly because I remember you had to send your 7D in once if I remember right. Otherwise, if you know someone that will loan you a rebel or something. I hate Rebels now but my first digital wedding was on an 8mpix rebel. They can take pro quaility shots in the hands of someone like you
    Keep it simple for the first one. Make sure you take your battery charger so half way through you can plug your camera batt in while you continue to shoot. Thats what I did with my first digital wedding.
    Mark