Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ok, hold the laughter ...ME a wedding photographer!???

Wedding is in 4 days and my ...so much has changed!

#1 - Weather forecast has changed. Now it is going to be intervals of clouds and sunshine!

I received an email a couple hours ago from the b-t-b letting me know that the rehearsal is now. I wasn't prepared to go to a rehearsal spur of the moment which would have been very beneficial ...if only she would have told me maybe yesterday.

I have convinced them that taking all of the portraits in 1/2 an hour in two locations between ceremony and reception wasn't possible. So, they are going to have me for an additional hour during the reception. That doesn't change the amount of time between ceremony and reception but at least now it doesn't have to be all done in a 1/2 hour! WHEW!!! So, I think it would be best to do the entire party shot down by the lake and a couple b&g shots.

I am thinking of doing the portraits in the ceremony room down the hall from the reception area during the reception (after main dances) and just have people come in there when it is there time to take photos.

Now this opens up a whole new set-up possibilities for lighting! I would probably still have my daughter in the reception room taking candid shots with the 430ex II. Which leaves me with the 580ex II for portraits. Now I need to decide whether to still leave flash on camera and bounce it, use an omni-bounce or use my small on-camera softbox. Or, set-up a softbox or umbrella on stand?

If anyone wants to chime in on ideas for shooting individual and group shots with one speedlight feel free. I'm just trying to figure out what is best to use with it and best way to eliminate any shadows.

I have read 4 books on wedding photography this past week or so and alot of it is all jumbled in my head at the moment ...each book tells me something different!

Got it figured out. Now, just waiting for Saturday to come ...and go!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Got it figured out. Now, just waiting for Saturday to come ...and go!
    Just remember when things get crazy and you are not sure, stop, count to 10 and then go on. Don't let yourself get worked up because of something that went wrong.
    I would wish you good luck but I don't believe in that. I know God will give you the patiance to get through the wedding and the bride will have some wanderful images to remember her day.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Just remember when things get crazy and you are not sure, stop, count to 10 and then go on. Don't let yourself get worked up because of something that went wrong.
    I would wish you good luck but I don't believe in that. I know God will give you the patiance to get through the wedding and the bride will have some wanderful images to remember her day.
    Mark:
    You have been a great source of information and calm throughout this whole thing. Your advice has always been positive and very helpful; and today your wisdom and calming effect continues.

I have been amazed at everyone's efforts here... you all have been truly amazing.

Denise - I am headed up to the U.P. on Friday, and I look forward to seeing some of the great shots that you will produce when I get back.

Sorry to jump in here and disrupt the thread, but I have been in awe of what has been going on here.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Mark:
    You have been a great source of information and calm throughout this whole thing. Your advice has always been positive and very helpful; and today your wisdom and calming effect continues.

I have been amazed at everyone's efforts here... you all have been truly amazing.

Denise - I am headed up to the U.P. on Friday, and I look forward to seeing some of the great shots that you will produce when I get back.

Sorry to jump in here and disrupt the thread, but I have been in awe of what has been going on here.
    +1! When I first started photography a couple years ago, there were a couple of forums I looked at and the best decision I made was sticking with this one! You guys are the best and yes, Mark you have been a godsend with your support and information provided here and in PM's! And to everyone that has entrusted me with the use of their equipment or offered to send me their gear, I could not be more appreciative of your generousity and friendship!

I told my daughter that next time we will be able to charge so much more, rent the equipment we need and still come out ahead! She told me never, ever again! I think she is the first assistant to put in their notice before the first job is even done & I'm the first photographer to make one want to quit in such a short amount of time ...LOL! Seriously though, she has been just as fantastic as everyone here and I hope she knows how much I appreciate her help as well!

Today is the day, right? I don't need to say it, but good luck Denise. I know you will do a great job!!

Yes, in exactly 7 hours it will be the start of a very long 5 hour shoot! All equipment is ready to go! The photographer, well not so sure!!

Thank goodness my daughter is helping me with this! I have always called her my human post-it note ...I run things by her, she remembers them and reminds me later when I forget! Right now, I am totally blanking out on everything we practiced the last few weeks! So, unless it is like riding a bike & it all comes back to me once I'm up and going, she will do me wonders with jogging my memory!

All batteries charged ...check!
    Lens selected and cleaned ...check!
    Flashes packed ...check!
    Sensor cleaned ...check! I didn't realize how much my 7d looks "used" until I saw John's spankin' new just out of the box model! Anytime you want to trade John or if that baby ever goes up for sale, you just let me know!!

Brown paper bag to breathe into ...darn, I knew I was forgetting something! LOL!

Can't wait to hear about the day and see your work!

You will do great!

Best wishes for an uneventful event!

Dan
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

Shot my first wedding and lived to tell about it! But OMG ...my entire body aches from head to toe!!! They had us stay longer ...and longer ...and longer!!!

I think I have a few more gigs coming up!!! The bride's sister & the dj are getting married soon and also some want me to do kiddie portraits. Also, the groom wants me to do a portfolio for him! I guess he used to be a model (I can see why) and he wants to get back into modeling!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Shot my first wedding and lived to tell about it! But OMG ...my entire body aches from head to toe!!! They had us stay longer ...and longer ...and longer!!!

I think I have a few more gigs coming up!!! The bride's sister & the dj are getting married soon and also some want me to do kiddie portraits. Also, the groom wants me to do a portfolio for him! I guess he used to be a model (I can see why) and he wants to get back into modeling!
    Time to charge more!
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss