Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Ok, hold the laughter ...ME a wedding photographer!???

Great news Denise! I can sympathize with the aching from head to toe. My back and feet hurt for two days after my first wedding. No one ever mentions to wear comfortable shoes (sorry I forgot to mention that to you). As long as you had fun staying longer, you probably got some good portfolio shots. Hope the PP work doesn't bog you down and you can show us some of the stellar shots in the near future!!! Congratulations again on surviving your first wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Shot my first wedding and lived to tell about it! But OMG ...my entire body aches from head to toe!!! They had us stay longer ...and longer ...and longer!!!

I think I have a few more gigs coming up!!! The bride's sister & the dj are getting married soon and also some want me to do kiddie portraits. Also, the groom wants me to do a portfolio for him! I guess he used to be a model (I can see why) and he wants to get back into modeling!
    Yehah, go you good thing. Knew you would blow them all away.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Well, I got some good shots ...and some really, really bad shots!!!

Worst thing is, there was no room in the ceremony room at all!! Photo above shows the front of the room where the ceremony took place. There was an arch set up in the middle and the party consisting of 6 on each side of the arch! The guest chairs went all the way to the wall on each side so once I was up in front to take photos of her coming down the aisle I was stuck! Manuveured my way in and out of rows of chairs to get back some and my daughter was crushed against the wall somewhere next to the fireplace and stayed there the entire time.

Worst thing was ...as soon as the ceremony started, almost every guest was standing up the entire time with their phones and camcorders going nuts! One even had a dslr! There was no way to get good clear shots without someones head being in the way! I felt like I was at a concert!

There was no way to get good clear shots without someones head being in the way! I felt like I was at a concert!
    Interesting idea, a crowd surfing wedding photographer!
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Interesting idea, a crowd surfing wedding photographer!
    LOL, good one. That would be an image to see.
    Steve U

Shot my first wedding and lived to tell about it! But OMG ...my entire body aches from head to toe!!! They had us stay longer ...and longer ...and longer!!!

I think I have a few more gigs coming up!!! The bride's sister & the dj are getting married soon and also some want me to do kiddie portraits. Also, the groom wants me to do a portfolio for him! I guess he used to be a model (I can see why) and he wants to get back into modeling!
    Congrats on the nice job Denise! Maybe it's time for the price to go up?

Dave

Good to hear that your day went well! Congrats! I really hope you enjoyed it and you and your B&G like your results and those of your daughter of course. I hope you'll be able to get some more out of it. That would only be better. Good luck post-processing

Photo above shows the front of the room where the ceremony took place.
    What photo?
    It sounds like it went well overall. I know you got some good shots. Looking forward to seeing them.
    I have done small rooms like this too and it is very difficult to get the shots you want.
    O don't worry about guests with DSLRs. They are always going to be there. I am sure my nieces photographer did not like seeing me show up with my 5D and 580EXII. I do get a bit peeved when they block my shot. I am not always the nicest when I am telling them to get out of my way if they have been really obnoxious.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    What photo?
    It sounds like it went well overall. I know you got some good shots. Looking forward to seeing them.
    I have done small rooms like this too and it is very difficult to get the shots you want.
    O don't worry about guests with DSLRs. They are always going to be there. I am sure my nieces photographer did not like seeing me show up with my 5D and 580EXII. I do get a bit peeved when they block my shot. I am not always the nicest when I am telling them to get out of my way if they have been really obnoxious.
    The first photo posted earlier in this thread on 9/8 is where everyone stood for the ceremony.

I am knee deep in sorting through photos so you won't be hearing much from me for awhile.

Being my first gig, I wasn't sure what to say to all these people with their cameras. I did get pretty rude to people by the lake though that were taking photos in the area that I had planned to use since time was something not on my side.

When we were doing the private portrait shoot in the ceremony room during the reception, I had told the bride days ago when this was setup that I only wanted the people in there that were getting their photos taken at that time, then they can leave and go back to the reception and the next group can come in. Otherwise it is too distracting. Well, the room was packed with people going in and out, standing around, giving instructions to a point that I could not be heard, kids running in between my tripod and the people I am photographing and get this ...a guy stood next to me the entire time with his p&s taking the same photos!

After awhile, sad to say ...due to exhaustion, I think I gave up and my dedication faded to the wayside. It was crazy!

Since I know I wouldn't be able to charge more for awhile (especially to the same family), I don't think I will be doing this again. I will leave it to the pros.

Ok, back to editing. Once I have everything done and posted on my website, I will also post some here. I think some are pretty good & others, I would be ashamed to say I took!! I must say though, my daughter did a fantastic job. I think the only problem she had was keeping the camera in one shot when they were doing the first dances. Otherwise, her lighting & composition was great! Being the first time she ever used a dslr, I am proud of her! Taking photos, holding reflectors, getting me what I needed ...she was awesome!

That's great news about how you and your daughter worked well together. Do you want to tell us how many shots you took yet?
    And what time you left home and what time you got back. Also put the clock on yourself during the editing and photo post presentation to the bride and groom. This will be an interesting exercise for all of us amateurs to gain some insight.
    Steve U