Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grab your Prime-Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Oh, I really got to get back on this thread. A few things have happened and I'm finally happy with how things are. I'll post my experiences here later on. Hopefully this week if I find some time
    Well, Jan, you made us curious, and now you keep us waiting...
    But good to hear you are happy!

Arnt
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    So a lot has happened to me the last few years and my interest in photography went lower and lower. For what it's worth: I hardly took any photos this year and I haven't taken a single photo since my weekend in Luxembourg may 5th. A few weeks ago I decided to give it another try, see if I can enjoy photography as I used to before.
    Jan....I missed this thread earlier, it was about the same time as my trip to Idaho. I am sorry to read this. Hopefully when you update the story, especially after the great shots you had on flickr, you've found the photo mojo again. I think everyone goes through lulls. I tend to have a couple week periods where I don't pick the camera up much and I almost always end up at an event where I wished I'd had it. I also tend to have a running list of my own personal "assignments" that keep me going.

Regarding primes...I just haven't fallen in love yet. I know several here have. But my two primes (50 f/1.8 II and 100 L macro) are by far my least used lenses. I should give them more of a try. There is something I don't like about the shots form the 50 f/1.8. I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. But I do really like the shots from the 100 L. Some of my favorites. I am off after (rainy) foliage/waterfalls this weekend. Maybe I'll bring them along and see what I can't shoot with them.

Looking forward to the update....

Brant

Sorry about the long wait! I'm very very busy at the moment, but I'll add something tomorrow! Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Alright, this one's for you Sheiky. I shot it tonight with an 85mm f/1.8 and a couple of Kenko extension tubes:

Transformers Cuff Links by budrowilson, on Flickr
    Awesome + I feel honored hehe!

Jan,

You know this thread cost me $300 back in August.

I read it and thought the opposite, I never use my zooms. So I packed up my zooms and went to the local watermelon festival. While debating which zoom I should use, (after all isn't the idea of a zoom that I only need to carry one lens) I was swaping back and forth to see which focal range I wanted. I layed the 16-35 in the front seat of my truck, badly I guess because it rolled out and fell about 4 feet to the asphalt. I was glad $300 fixed it.

Unfortunate as well, the 70-200mm was much to long for the event.

Rick

Rick....that is rough.

This thread reminded me to pack my primes to the wedding I was at in September. For the actual wedding, I stayed with my EFS 15-85. But as people were getting ready I played around with a few different lenses. Here are two I like both taken with the 50 f/1.8 II on a 7D:

The flower girl:

small-8442 by kayaker72, on Flickr

The bride:

small-8446 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Please feel free to comment or critique....Thanks Brant

Very nice, especially like the second one.
    I'm also getting on the prime train a bit, I'm eager to try it more. Just need a step-up ring or new CPL/NDs
    Arnt

Wonderful shots, Brant! I also like the 2nd one best but very nice job on both of them!

mmm, primes.

I'm getting more and more (and more bodies too). I'm going to a best-friend's wedding this saturday (not as photog, thank god), so i'm trying to figure out what i'm taking, basically i'm trying to narrow it down to one Prime per body.
    He's a (fairly) rich guy, or at least the money he has he puts into good cameras. I haven't asked, but i'm sure he wouldn't lend me his 5D3 and 50/1.2L. And i'm sure he's got enough friends with gear just as good (his parents and future wife are from Hong Kong, lots of his Chinese friends have good cameras, and the wife of the best man has a 7D and 70-200/2.8 II).
    So instead, i'm going for the kit that will get the photos that others won't get.

It's a daytime outdoor wedding, and weather looks clear (maybe cloudy), but no rain.
    So during the ceremony, maybe the 100/2.0 on the 7D for reach.
    Afterwards, I might try get some set-shots if i follow them around, P6 with 120/2.8, probably B+W film, either Efke 25 (if it's bright enough out) or Shanghai 100 (maybe Ilford or Acros 100, depending on what I find in the freezer). Probably just jam a Yellow filter on and leave it (maybe CPL too, it still cuts glare on B+W)
    Between the ceremony and reception, there's a few hours to kill, so i'l be wandering around the city, maybe shopping (probably hitting a pub with mates I haven't seen in years), so then it's my dad's old Rangefinder I inherited, Petri 7s Circle-Eye (there was the beginning of fungus in it I cleaned last weekend, took the fungus off and half the coatings too). First test 'street' film in it now, T-Max 100, I'll try finish that up but won't rely on it too much because i don't know if they'll even turn out.
    Then reception, I'll either put Delta 3200 in the P6, or 400CN pushed to 800 in the EOS3 with 40mm Pancake for 'snapshots'. But seeing as i've already got a 40mm covered on the Rangefinder (although the lightmeter on it only takes up to iso400), i could end up with a 28/2.8, Samyang 35/1.4 or FL 55/1.2 on the 3 (and 120mm on the P6 covers the 85mm FF-equiv length too). And then probably keep the 100/2.0 on the 7D.

Too many choices. Obviously if I wanted to get the 'best' shots on the day i'd be hiring a 24-70 or 17-55, but that's what official photogs are for. I'm definitely looking forward to the challenge of limiting myself to only a few choices on the day (and it's so much easier to just grab another body than to constantly fumble with changing lenses)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

When I shot my first wedding a few weeks ago, during the reception I used the Sigma 17-50mm and my daughter used the 50mm 1.8 II. This should have been our choice for the wedding also with such small and crowded room.

Anyway, these are two my daughter took at the reception. Once again, she made me very proud! I can learn alot from her!

Name:  R (49)_resized.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  R (53)_Resized.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  189.4 KB