Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 24" LCD...do I realy need to spend $600+

Looking for a 24" LCD...do I realy need to spend $600+

I am looking for a 24" LCD because my Sony 21" CRT died.

It seems like you can get a decent one for about $350 or so, and then you go up a level and hit the $600+ range.

I am not a pro, but I do like Photoshop my photos before I send them off to print...but is this enough justification to double the cost of the monitor?

What do you guys use as far as LCD's...especially if you have a 24" one.

Thanks!

Mitch

Re: Looking for a 24" LCD...do I realy need to spend $600+

How about a 22" Acer Widescreen LCD? Only about $170 +tax....

I bought a model very similar in May '08, and I can't believe I waited so long to do it. Of course, I was using a 15" CRT before, but still, this monitor is fantastic. Of course, it wouldn't seem so huge after your 21" CRT, but it'll still be very adequate and quite reasonable in price.

I'm using a 24" Samsung which is reasonably priced (around $300) and has 1900 x 1200 resolution. I highly recommend a 24".

Unfortunately, the more expensive monitors are often worth it for photographers. It's hard to judge your photographs color and contrast when each of those changes with a few degrees difference in viewing angle, and the cheaper TN panels can be hard to get color calibrated accurately.

Do a search for TN VA and IPS lcd panels.

Here's one of my first google results: http://dcuser.net/others/lcd-monitor-for-photography-ips-lcd-panel.html

I'm doing fine with a less expensive 24" monitor (Gateway FHD2401).

I agree with the previous poster that better montiors are probably easier to calibrate and probably have better consistency, but my cheap 24" is so much better than my expensive 10-year old 15", that I haven't been impacted.

I'm *not* an expert, and I *don't* like crt monitors.

But if you want consistency, you might consider a crt.

I like my NEC CRT monitors, a LOT. They're obsolete, take up too much space, and have limited real resolution, but for simple color correction, once you get the color temperature set, black and white levels dialed in,and your computer gets a profile made, for viewing color they rock. Of course, they'll wear out, and then I'll be sad, and have to buy an LCD because they probably won't be made anymore, but... Oh well...

Now, some CRT monitors might be awful, but most LCD monitors are awful too ...

My iMac is on the way home! I need a good 24'' monitor since I have partially converted to digital and I do scan my films quite often. I think a good quality 24'' is a big deal for photographers. I'm not able to tell how to choose a 24'' monitor or which is better than which in which way, but I know if I go for a iMac I'm never wrong[]

this got decent marks from macLife magazine.. said it's a great value if you're looking to spend less than $600.. it's 26", too

http://www.vizio.com/product.aspx?id=2730&pid=2608