Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a 24" LCD...do I realy need to spend $600+

Re: Looking for a 24" LCD...do I realy need to spend $600+

Mitch,

I held out on switching from a CRT to an LCD monitor as long as I could, in the hopes that the quality I wanted would become more affordable. Over a year ago I bought a Samsung 22" LCD (the size fits my needs better than the 24") with 3000:1 dynamic conrast ratio, for only $199. I couldn't be happier with this monitor and would highly recommend taking a look at their current 24" versions. The color, clarity, and dynamic range are all a pleasure to look at and work with. I take thousands of photos a year, so I can honestly say that I'm pleased using this monitor for photographic purposes.

Remember of course, that you need to connect the digital output from your video card to the digital input of the monitor, as that gives the best results. If your current video card does not have a digital output, I would consider buying a new card that does. Also, buy a monitor that has the desktop size/ratio that you want to work with. Switching it from it's native ratio seriously degrades the quality as well. I'm guessing that you already knew these things, but it never hurts to hear it twice.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Re: Looking for a 24" LCD...do I realy need to spend $600+

Hi Mitch,

I use a Dell 2408WFP and am very satisfied with it. I am not a pro, but a serious amateur. After calibrating with a Spyder3 Elite, the colors are right on and I get great results when printing my own images or from a good lab when enlargements greater that 8X10 are needed. The retail price I paid was about $550. direct from Dell. The priceis probably higher now since I got mine whenDell was offering a deal around Christmas time last year. The 2408WFP is a good mid level monitor that performs well, I highly recommend it.By comparison, you'd have to spend $1,500+ to buy a "reference" quality monitor from NEC or Eizo.

Good luck!

Jeff