Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lens for Baby Pictures.

Sorry for the lack of clarification. I am referring to the view finder coverage for each camera. The 7D has 100% view finder coverage and the 60D has 96%.

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    Sorry for the lack of clarification. I am referring to the view finder coverage for each camera. The 7D has 100% view finder coverage and the 60D has 96%.
    That would be a negative for me.

What is your opinion the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM vs the 17-55mm worn on a 60d? Would you still go with the 17-55mm for an all purpose lens?
    Still the EF-S 17-55mm. If you have no intention of getting a FF camera soon, I'd limit your choices to the EF-S 17-55mm vs. the EF-S 15-85mm. A 24-xx zoom is great on FF, but it would be hard recommend a lens lacking a wide angle as a walkaround lens (24mm on APS-C is normal, not wide).

What is your opinion the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM vs the 17-55mm worn on a 60d? Would you still go with the 17-55mm for an all purpose lens?
    I would get the 7D over the 60D due to the 7D's; more sophisticated AF system, more rugged build (magnesium body), better weather sealing, faster frame rate, 100% VF and longer shutter life.

Between the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, I would eliminate the 15-85mm due to its variable aperture which becomes slower as the focal range increases.

Now between the 24-70mm f/2.8L and the 17-55mm. The 24-70mm is a better lens, but it's also $2000 and the 17-55mm is $1000.

The 24-70mm is weather-sealed. It's also much larger and heavier than the 17-55mm. It actually over powers the 7D a bit, but not a major concern in my opinion, but the size and weight may be.

But, what would be better for you on a crop camera? The 24-70mm doesn't go as wide (38mm) on a crop camera for wide landscapes, but it goes longer which will be better for portraits 112mm (70mm X 1.6 crop).

So, take a look at your current shots and see if you would miss the wide-end from 17 to 23mm.

The 17-55mm won't fit on an APS-H (recently discontinued MKIV) or a FF Camera, but you only need it to fit the camera that you own and the lens could always be sold if you ever upgrade to FF. Some people like to keep their crop camera (if the resale value has dropped) for the reach and then add a FF camera for the other stuff. The EF-S lenses can not be shared on both cameras, but the EF- 24-70mm can. I have the 24-70mm and it fits the 7D, MKIV and 1DX.

The 17-55mm doesn't look that great wide open at f/2.8 at the wide end 17mm, which is not a common use, since most people would stop down their wide angle shots anyway.

The 24-70mm also looks a little better to me between 28 to 55mm at f/2.8 which will probably be the range that you will use for baby shots, however on Bryans ISO crop shots, the 24-70mm was shot on the very expensive FF 1DS and the 17-55 was shot on the crop 50D since it's a crop lens, so it's not a fair comparison. Bryan also mentions in his review that the 17-55mm isn't that sharp when used close up. Not to be confused with close-up normal use, the 24-70mm Version One, also has a "Macro Mode", it's not a true 1:1 Macro lens but it works pretty well.

The 17-55mm has "IS" which may also help you starting out. It reduces camera shake and it allows you to shoot at a slower shutter-speed (for lower noise) in lower light, for stationary subjects (see babies). The 35mm f/1.4 is even better for this.

When I bought my 7D, I purchased the EF-24-70mm f/2.8L and I have never been sorry about that. However, I also eventually purchased the 10-22mm for wider shots, but I hardly ever use it. Now that I will be selling my 7D, I will probably also sell the 10-22mm since it doesn't fit on my MKIV or 1DX, but it did serve its purpose on the 7D.

If you want to save a $1000 and you want to shoot wider landscapes, then get the 7D and 17-55mm.

If you want to get the better lens with the longer portrait focal range, and have it be FF compatible then get the 7D with the 24-70mm. The version two of the 24-70mm is supposed to be released in September. It will be more expensive and it won't have the Macro feature.

Remember, that no-one into photography only has one lens, so don't sweat the decision too much, because you will eventually get a few more lenses.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 08-24-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Rich,

Thank you for your detailed response. Do you think that the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM would work as well on the 60D as the 7D?

Thank you,
    Bruce

Yes, of course that lens would work well on any camera. However, that focal range would be more of an outdoor lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    The 17-55mm doesn't look that great wide open at f/2.8 at the wide end 17mm, which is not a common use, since most people would stop down their wide angle shots anyway.
    I don't know either of the lenses from a lot of personal experience, but I'm sure the 17-55 is much better at 17mm than the 24-70, which is a total failure from 17-23mm.
    I personally don't want to miss the zoom range from 17 (or 15 in my case) to 24mm on my general purpose lens on a crop camera.
    It comes down to personal preferences I think.

Arnt

OK, I'm going to purchase the following:

1) Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR (body only)
    2 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    3) Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM

The 7D on paper is a better camera; "sophisticated AF system, more rugged build (magnesium body), better weather sealing, faster frame rate, 100% VF and longer shutter life." - Rich (thank you for your information Rich).

However, I like the 60D's video capabilities, the lower price tag (almost 40% less), the lighter size of the 60D (yet it's still partially weather sealed), and the rotating lcd screen better. I will not be shooting in the rain or shooting scenes that 8 shots per second is makes a difference, (not for a couple years at least).

The IQ from many websites, forums and people I talk to is nearly equal. The 60D is also a better first camera for armature photographers.

My goal is to learn photography with the EOS 60D Digital SLR and shoot with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, then purchase a FF camera in 3-5 years and continue to use the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM and other lenses I purchase throughout my journey with the FF camera.

I am looking for a third lens to purchase that will fit well with my plan.

Do you have any thoughts / suggestions on a third lens that fits well with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS US and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM and will be usable on a FF camera in 3-5 years?

This forum has been the most helpful tool in my journey, and I thank you all for your responses; each response has been very appreciated.

Thank you again,
    Bruce

The EF 85mm f/1.8 will make a great portrait lens on both the 60D and a FF camera.

+1 on Neuro's suggestion. I think the 60D the 17-55mm, 70-200 and the 85/1.8 would be the ultimate kit to start with and learn with and grow into.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur