Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lens for Baby Pictures.

You may have just answered my question. Is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens also good for photographing a baby?

Welcome, and congratulations!

What's your budget? The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is really an excellent lens - it covers the same basic range as the 18-55mm kit lens that came with your camera, but the IQ is much better (equivalent to L-series lenses, and so is the price tag!), and the constant f/2.8 aperture is very useful. You won't find an L-series lens that covers wide angle to short telephoto (what you need for a general purpose zoom) on an APS-C sensor like that in the T4i.

I also really like the EF 85mm f/1.8 - IMO, it's one of the best values in the Canon lineup in terms of IQ for price. The wide aperture and compression make it great for tight portraits on an APS-C body.

I wish I'd had a dSLR when our first daughter was born, but I lumbered along with a slow-focusing super zoom P&S until close to her second birthday. I started with a T1i, 17-55mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8, and a 430EX II. An external flash is very useful - the on-board pop-up flash is only direct light, which is a bit harsh and leads to red-eye. A Speedlite flash (270EX II or 430EX II) allows you to point the head up and bounce the light off the ceiling, meaning a larger light source for much softer, more flattering light.

Here are a couple of early shots, the first one was literally my first trip out with the new camera:

Rebel T1i, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM @ 50mm, 1/50 s, f/2.8, ISO 100

Rebel T1i, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, 1/2000 s, f/1.8, ISO 100

Look forward to seeing some pics!

Thank you for your detailed answer. You are certainly right in regards to "investment," I am probably being over zealous.

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM looks great, and a few people have suggested the same lens.

Thank you again, your information is very appreciated.

Bruce

Thank you for sharing your photo, all I can say is beautiful eyes!!

Thats amazing clarity with the pancake, and the price of the lens you suggested are very affordable, thank you for your input.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    I really do not have a budget (my wife cant see this can she? LOL) , I would rather buy a lens that I will have for many years and take the best quality pictures.
    Great philosophy. I can tell you from personal experience that 'taking better pictures of your child' is a justification that usually has a lot of traction with a wife, at least with mine.

I am going to take a course in photography in the Fall to lean about the camera and the lens that I choose and get the most out of both.
    That's a great idea. Some introductory books can be great as well - Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and some of Michael Freeman's books are great places to start.

Do you think the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens is a crazy purchase, or a good investment?
    Definitely a good investment, but perhaps not something you need right away. My experience with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II was that on an APS-C camera, the focal length was rather 'awkward' - it was too long to use conveniently indoors except right near the wide end. As a result, I really didn't use it that much on my 7D. After getting a 5DII, though, it became my second most-used lens - on FF, it's a great focal range indoors and out, living room to backyard to beach.

Thank you for your response, you were not kidding; the Canon 35/1,4 L is much pricier.

Thank you again, I appreciate your response.

Bruce

Thank you very much for all your information. You suggested the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS which seems to be the leading lens from the current forum.

I did not realize the flash was so important, I am now going to research the suggested flashes and most likely purchase with a lens to avoid the direct light, great input... thank you.

My budget is flexible; I just to make sure I purchase the right lens at the right price and get the most out of the lens and camera.

By the way, the pictures of your daughter are wonderful and I will certainly share when my child arrives sometime in late October.

Thank you again and I'll keep you posted.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Great philosophy. I can tell you from personal experience that 'taking better pictures of your child' is a justification that usually has a lot of traction with a wife, at least with mine.

"I am thinking the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS seems to be the smart choice, not cheap though, but a good buy"

That's a great idea. Some introductory books can be great as well - Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and some of Michael Freeman's books are great places to start.

"I agree, I have purchased a few books from Barnes and Noble and Understanding Exposure is on its way."

Definitely a good investment, but perhaps not something you need right away. My experience with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II was that on an APS-C camera, the focal length was rather 'awkward' - it was too long to use conveniently indoors except right near the wide end. As a result, I really didn't use it that much on my 7D. After getting a 5DII, though, it became my second most-used lens - on FF, it's a great focal range indoors and out, living room to backyard to beach.
    "Thank you again for your advice and input"

I agree with the 17-55. My neighbor has it and it hardly ever leaves the camera. I personally got the EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 instead because I preferred the greater focal length range over the constant 2.8 aperture, but my kids are older and most of my pictures are outside. With a newborn I suppose you will take more pictures inside where the larger max aperture will be a greater advantage. It will also allow more nice background blur.
    I would also add an external flash before you add a tele, the 430EX II is a great choice. It makes a huge difference over the built-in flash.

Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    I agree with the 17-55. My neighbor has it and it hardly ever leaves the camera. I personally got the EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 instead because I preferred the greater focal length range over the constant 2.8 aperture, but my kids are older and most of my pictures are outside. With a newborn I suppose you will take more pictures inside where the larger max aperture will be a greater advantage. It will also allow more nice background blur.
    I would also add an external flash before you add a tele, the 430EX II is a great choice. It makes a huge difference over the built-in flash.

Arnt
    "Thank you for your information, I am going to now purchase an external flash, another response suggested the same flash, the 430 EX II. Thank you again."