Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Best Lens for Baby Pictures.

Thank you for your responses. I am going to take your advice Steve and just stick with the two lens, the 17-55mm and the 70-200mm, and start shooting.

Do you have any recommendations on a tripod? Or on a photoshop software?

If weight isn't a big thing you could save some money and get an aluminum tripod. With those being cheap and sturdy, you're not afraid to use it in less than desirable situations. Manfrotto, among others, make good-valued options in either aluminum or carbon. Induro is another popular brand. Benro are copies of gitzo tripods. Heads for your tripod are a different story. Arca-swiss compatible is a plus for me. Not fond at all of the Manfrotto stop sign-shaped plate or the locking method.
    Elements will get most anything "fancy" done. CS5 or CS6 is loaded with stuff you'll never use if you're only into photography. I prefer Lightroom as my editor/catalog because it is built around a photographer's frame of mind. Nothing wrong with the free DDP. I'm just used to LR.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

... And FYI, Canon has the 100mm macro (non "L") refurb for $408 shipped. One of the best lenses.. that I can afford.
    Last edited by andnowimbroke; 08-25-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

+1 on SteveU's advice.

Though, I still think the 15-85 is better than the 17-55, overall. The range is greater. The 17-55 is soft at 2.8, and once you stop it down to, say, f/4 (if you want sharper images), you'll find that the 15-85 still is sharper. It's sharper over the whole range of the 17-55.

Decisions, decisions.

The Manfrotto 190 graphite 4 section tripod would be a great place to start. They are reliable and easy to use. And having a good quality small easily transportable tripod means you will use it. I find I sometimes leave a tripod at home or in the car and end up with not the best results just because I was too lazy to bring it, or couldn't be bothered. Having one that you will always have with you, even if you don't need it is the best tripod to have in your kit. And then maybe have a bigger, heavier nore stable one as a backup tripod eventually.

Photoshop Elements will get you started relatively cheaply, but the software that comes with the camera can do everything to produce a good image. There is a very steep learning curve with software and you have to invest the time in it if you want to master Photoshop, NIK, OnOne or any software.

Elements is a very good product, inexpensive and an industry format and standard that starts you off very well and points you in the right direction if this hobby starts consuming your life, like it has for a lot of people.

You have have your lens and camera sorted, get them, use them. And maybe start a new thread with an image and ask what tripod, flash or PP technique or software may improve this image.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I recently started pretty similar to you and went through a lot of the same decisions. I started with the t3i and 15-85. I ended up returning the t3i and getting the 60D. I think it is a great camera to learn with and I liked the size and better manual controls. I think it is still too early for me to decide if long term I keep this or go the 7D or full frame route. I think it is better to learn more before deciding and invest in lenses in the short term. This forum shaped many of my decisions.

I thought the 15-85 lens was great, but ended up selling it for the 17-55 f/2.8. I do a lot more indoor shots and like the wider aperture as well as the constant aperture. It makes it easier for me to think about how I am setting up the shot rather than wondering the affects on aperture as I zoom. Either way, both great lenses.

On the zoom range, I went with the 70-200 f/4 L IS. I use that more outdoors, so the f/4 was good for me along with half the weight and half the price.

I would say to start with your 17-55 and the 70-200 of your choice. Add a flash (I have the 430). Play around and then see what prime you want to go with. I tried the 50 f/1.4. At least on my end, I found it too soft. Maybe it was just a bad copy, but I didn't like length enough to work through that. I ended up with the 35L and love it so far. Try your first lenses at different lengths and see which suits you better.

I use Lightroom for photo management. I still have a lot to learn on the post processing end.

Good luck!
    Eric

Thank you for your reply EricPvpi. While I was reading your post it felt like I was listening to myself.

I owned the t4i when this forum started. One week later I returned the t4i and purchased the 60D (body only). I then purchased the 17-55. Then 1 week later through additional research, forums and a camera class, I purchased the 20-700 f/4.0, 430 flash and lightroom adobe from B&H Photo.

Recently I have been experimenting with different shots with the camera and the lenses; including shooting them at all different focal lengths. So far, I love the 55mm length, and therefore would love to try the 50 1.4. I also love the closeup / portrait shots at 70-200mm; I am interested in two macros by cannon, the 60mm and the 100mm L.

I am looking forward to learning more and more about photography, and ultimately be ready to photo my newborn, which is only 49 days away... but who's counting

Thank you again,
    Bruce

For portraits, I did like the 50mm prime and the closeup you get on the crop sensor. But I have 3 kids from 10 months to 8 years and wanted something a little wider to get more of them in 1 shot. For 1 kids, especially a baby, give the 50 a try.

I think my next lens will be the 100mm L macro. I do think that would have been neat with the newborn.

Eric

Hi Magijr,

L-Series lenses, in my opinion, are a great investment. They not only have the best quality glass, but are built well and often weatherproof. Also, as was pointed out above, I would definitely go with an L-series lens for a telephoto. However, for under 85mm, you'll be good with USM stuff. I own the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX and it's GREAT! Canon's 50mm f/1.4 is very nice too! The pancake looks attractive, and for an all-purpose zoom to replace your current lens, I'd go with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. This is a GREAT lens and is actually L-series optics inside, just not L-build.

Is the 70-200 worth it? Hmm.. well the version II is definitely unnecessary, especially for someone who isn't a full-time working professional photographer. If you can find a good-quality version 1 somewhere for less, I'd go with that easy! The 70-200mm f/4 is nice too, though f/2.8 would be nice for indoors. I might also recommend a Macro lens. The Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM is a great lens! Now for less than half the price, you could get the Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro (I used to own this lens) which is FAST and takes absolutely amazing portraits! Macro is great for baby shots!

Personally, I'd get a 17-55 f/2.8 IS and Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro now, and save for a GOOD 70-200 or something down the road when your child is older and starts running around. That's my vote!

www.freshphotoblog.com
    Last edited by Jordan; 09-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Hi Jordan,

I recently purchased the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and the The 70-200mm f/4 L, and I love both of them. I purchased the 70-200 because I have two dogs that I love to photograph while hiking and such. From my minimal experience, the 70-200 also works well for portraits. The 17-55 was highly recommended and it has certainly lived up to the hype.

Regarding the macro lens, I may rent one after my baby is born and see how I like it. I am not familiar with macro photography and I'm not sure it would work well in my apartment. I feel like the 100mm macro would be too large on a crop lens in my apartment, but the 60mm lens would work well.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.