Thread: Photography help?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Thanks heaps for the help everyone, and sorry for such a delayed response, I've been out enjoying taking photos

Another quick question, I've had people say to me my camera is "crop sensor" so it's junk by default and they're telling me to get a full camera... The hell does that mean? I want to do flowers, wildlife and landscape and they've said it's junk for landscape and wildlife... It looks OK so far?
    1st. Glad you are taking photo's.

Jan could probably offer the number of "full frame" vs. crop sensor winners from the assignment thread - it is the photographER that makes the difference.

To be technical: And there are plenty on this forum that are way more technical than me.....

A crop sensor is smaller than a full 24x36mm sized sensor - that is the size of the "traditional" 35mm film camera. They are smaller so each pixel compared to a similar resolution "full frame" has to be smaller. This means less light falls onto each sensor and the signal has to be amplified a bit more for identical conditions. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean all that much for most of the time - in low light yep there is a difference. HOWEVER, if one back off 1 stop on the shutter speed... information and signal are now equal or better to the "crop sensor." Again, in very low light and long shutter speeds the information going to the larger "full frame" pixel is indeed better with less electronic noise as their is less electronic signal amplification. There is also typically a little more dynamic range and shadow detail, but you have to look REALLY CLOSE to find these differences. For most landscapes, tripods shots and most any typical enlargement, these are not concerns.

FYI if you ever get to Washington DC cruise through the national geographic exhibition at natural history just in case you ever wonder how big you can take your image. They have worked really hard, but wow what a set of amazing photos.

Now there is a benefit to a "crop sensor" that is for the same resolution you are shooting through the middle of the lens (usually better optics) and with a bit more of a telephoto effect for the same focal length lens. a 50mm lens on a crop sensor has the same view as a 80mm on a full frame (1.6x) and should have a better optical environment.

The "crop" in crop sensor comes from the effect of "cropping out" parts of the top/bottom/sides compared to a full frame. As soon as the "full frame" picture is "cropped" vs. a "crop sensor" that is used full size.... image quality starts to go to the "crop sensor." You will see narrative about getting a bit more "reach" w/ a crop sensor vs. full frame for a given lens.

Three basic points.
    1) ( a little negative) Photo is like boats - there is always someone who can spend more money to take a picture or float on the water. For those w/ a "full frame" camera that think a "crop sensor" is automatically junk, perhaps you should ask them why they don't shoot Leica medium format or Hassleblad/Phase One. They will only set you back a minimum 20k for the body alone. You will really get amazed at the lens costs..... Anything other than a Leica S2 is "junk"..... Leica does make a 18 megapixel full frame "range finder" style i.e. not a single lens relfex - only $7k for the body. Perhaps they are worried of their own skill and are trying to make themselves feel better.

What you use and is it "worth it" to get the next "upgrade" all depends on your needs, wants, and checkbook - it has little to do with anyone else. The dismal science (economics) has whole books devoted to "decision process and utility".

2) Canon has in effect arguably 4 "current" senors on the "pro to prosumer" market. The 1dx 18 megapixel "full frame", The 5dIII 22 megapixel, the 5dII 21 megapixel sensor though still be sold though I doubt it is still being manufactured, and the APS-C sized sensor that is now in the 7d, 60d, t4i,T3i. I just checked and the 7d at Adorama is $1,499 for the body only, the 7d is considered a "pro" level body oriented - not exclusive - to the sports world - your camera as the same sensor. Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma (they has something different) all have "full frame" and crop sensors.

3) I very much like my T3i crop sensor - light weight, fits my hands/shooting style just fine, etc. I did rent the 5dIII for my long weekend in the mountains and it sure is a nice camera, etc, etc, though I can afford it I am not in a mad dash to buy it - the "utility" just isn't there for me... And yes I am a pixel peeper and shot identical shots with both T3i and 5DIII.

You can take amazing photographs. I worked in a high camera store in the late 70s early 80s, and dare I say 3/4 of my entire gadget bag is inside the T3i. All the optics are better now vs. then. The creative possibilities are 10x what they once were.

I look to photo like my golf game... I do it for fun, yes there are people who do it for money and do it "better" and I truly enjoy to watch the master at their art, I still do it just for fun.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 09-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911