Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me help my friend with a DSLR choice!

Another option is to get a G condition 1D II ($400) at Adorama and a weather sealed lens like the 24-105mm. Yes he will be pushing his budget but I'd really hate to see him with a expsensive paper weight.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by FastGass View Post
    but I'd really hate to see him with a expsensive paper weight.

John.
    This is a very good point. Maybe the waterproof point n shoot is the best idea. Thanks everyone.

I'm willing to sell a 75-300 USM III fairly cheap if that's on the table...

$100 + shipping costs would do it.

Dave

I was also thinking the second hand option. Second hand 50D would be the go I reckon - they're going for as little as $300 on ebay. That way your friend has a pretty tough body with enough features to keep a beginner occupied and plenty of spare cash for a decent all-in-one zoom.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    This is a very good point. Maybe the waterproof point n shoot is the best idea. Thanks everyone.
    I have an Oly waterproof P&S, the focus is slow, the shutter lag is long, and the high ISO performance isn't, period. Ok in bright sun at the beach, that's about it.

How firm is the $1K? $1100 gets a G1 X and the Canon housing. If smaller is preferable, perhaps the S100 and it's housing, well under the stated budget.

Or a good rain cover. That way humidity will be your only concern and you can still get a dslr without to much risk.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Moved to SoCal early 60's. Near the beach. Lucky, I guess. Blessed is more like it.
    Get the best "fixed lens" super zoom canon camera you can buy for the money you have available. Eliminate the learning curve of the dSLR and still get outstanding photos.