Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me help my friend with a DSLR choice!

Help me help my friend with a DSLR choice!

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who is about to go on a 2 week trip into the amazon. He has an old Canon G-something that is on its last leg, and he wants to buy a DSLR for the trip. I've tried convincing him to drop enough money to take weather sealing into account, but he won't do it. Here are his guidelines to me:

"I have really liked my Canon's in the past, so I'll probably stick with that brand. Also, I don't want to spend more than $1000 total--less would be better. Is there a "worker" camera of sorts in the Canon DSLR series? Something that has most of the features, and is a good, all-around camera--but without bells and whistles that I probably won't use anyway?
    I would like to buy something solid and proven--if I can get it for $500-$700 that would be awesome. The accessories will probably cost another couple hundred, so it would be nice to keep the camera cost in this range."

I'm struggling with what to recommend. It's down to these 3 options:
    1. The T3i with the 18-135 at $900. But that leaves little room in the budget for bag, cards, extra batteries, etc.
    2. The T3i with the 18-55 and 55-250 at $850.
    3. The T3 with the 18-55 and 55-250 at $680 (if you buy the imported version of the 55-250).
    I think Adorama has a few interesting kits that might save a few dollars too. Or should he get a kit through B&H that includes the 3 year Sagemax warranty given that he's going to the Amazon?

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Brian

Is the T2i still available? Maybe used? That would free up some budget

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    Is the T2i still available? Maybe used? That would free up some budget
    Yes, even new through amazon. But it's basically the same cost as the t3i kits. Identical for the 18-55 and 55-250 kit.

Used is probably different, but he will insist on new.

Look at the canon refurbished site

EOS Rebel T3 Black EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished 439.99

Plus

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Refurbished 187.99 at canon refurbished site

This combo would cover a great range and be around 630
    What more could a 'no bells and whistle guy want'

If he wants low light think about this combo

Power Shot SX40 HS 399.00
    with or without an S95 or S100
    which I think would be better for low light. 300+

This allows great outdoor zoom, and some lower f stops with the S95 or S100

If I'm going to the Amazon I'm taking my 70-200, my 17-40, my 24-70, to cover this exact range.
    Just better quality glass and a little faster which may not be needed and in the outdoors.
    Last edited by iND; 08-20-2012 at 01:15 AM.

But maybe I could convince him to get a used 50D. Hmmm.

How does he feel about second-hand, and Video features? You can get a nice 5D (mk1) used for around $600 (probably more from a store with guarantee, less if you get lucky on an ebay crap-shoot). 50D would probably come in for under that, not as good high-iso though. Not as well sealed as a 7D or 5D3, but probably better than an xxxD/rebel...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

ah, you beat me to it with the 50D-option...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Spend more money....

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

He will face huge humidity problems as well as frequent rain...he might be better off with a weather sealed point'n'shoot like the Olympus Tough TG-1.

Otherwise more budget will be needed or he could end up with an expensive paper weight

How good of a friend?

Have him buy the better slightly weather sealed body (60D) and lend him one of your lenses

But seriously.. if he's just getting into DSLR- I'm thinking single lens is best choice- minimize the exposure of the camera and lens inards -
    T3i and 18-135
    one less thing to worry about.- odds are he'll be using it like a point and shoot for now anyway (unless trip is long way off and he'll have time to explore his new DSLR)