Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hi my name is David and I'm about as new as a newbie can be to the world of digital photography. I recently decided it was time to step up from the point-&-shoot world and get serious about this hobby. So I left my Canon SX20 behind and picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T2i. I guess I let the bug really get a hold of me as I quickly traded the T2i for a Canon EOS 7D, followed even quicker with a jump to FF and the Canon EOS 5D MkII (which I love!) when the 7D suddenly passed away. Been playing around with a number of lenses and I think I've settled on the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. Haven’t really photographed much as of yet, as is obvious when you look at my Lightroom library - one directory named 'test shots', and one named 'Gus' but hopefully that will soon change. My main interests are landscapes, wildlife and aviation.

At any rate, I've been lurking around for a bit and decided that you guys have put together a great site that has a wealth of information plus being interesting and fun, so I hope you don't mind if I jump in and try to learn a thing or two from you.

The photos are of my best bud Amicus Curious George, or Gus for short. He's our 9 year old miniature Dachshund and ruler of the house

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3301.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	1324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3557.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	1325  

Welcome David;

And I have to say "Wow" you must be a fast track newbie. Three camera upgrades and three lenses already. Looks like you are on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Welcome David;

And I have to say "Wow" you must be a fast track newbie. Three camera upgrades and three lenses already. Looks like you are on the right path.
    Thanks HDNitehawk! Yeah, I tend to get carried away - but just a little, lol!

Actually I'm still in the process of deciding on which camera and lenses I'm going to settle on. As I stated in my original post, the 7D I had died quite suddenly, just wouldn't turn on one morning. So I exchanged it for another one, body only and bought a EF 15-85mm lens to go with it. I still have the 7D and 15-85mm. I also have the 5DMkII with the 24-105mm lens that I bought after reading up on FF cameras. One of these rigs is going back, question is - which one.

With my primary interest in wildlife and aviation the 7D should be the camera of choice - based upon what I have read. However, I just love the easy IQ of the 5D and I've seen some awesome air show action photos taken with this camera and the 100-400mm.

Decisions...decisions.

I don't have a lot of time left before one has to go back, so I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to really evaluate the two and make my decision.

Either way the 50mm and the 100-400mm are staying in the kit.

Well simple problem to solve and it only takes more money.
    Send both back and get you a 5D III. You loose the crop, but with the new AF system I would take the 5D III over the crop of the 7D.

Don't think I haven't thought about it. I'd have to give up the 100-400mm though

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Don't think I haven't thought about it. I'd have to give up the 100-400mm though
    Why? It should work fine on the 5D Mk III

Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    Why? It should work fine on the 5D Mk III

Arnt
    Would put me over budget. Although a 5DMkIII with the 24-105mm lens would be an awesome rig all by itself. I can always wait until next summer to get a big zoom, right?

Welcome David. Gus looks cool.
    This is a familiar tale, torn between what to do and how much to spend.
    The 5D and the 24-105 is a great combo. So is the 7D and the 15-85. The 5DMK3 is a better camera, but you'll probably need either a 500 or a 600mm lens for aviation. Ahh it's a slippery slope.
    Here's a suggestion, keep the 5D and the 24-105 as your walk around combo, keep the 100-400. Send the 7D and the 15-85 back and buy a Rebelt4i for your airshow work with the 100-400mm. Done two great bodies all hobbies catered for.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    maybe Im doing my math wrong or missing something here, but, assuming you bought all this new from say adorama

7d-$1400
    15-85mm-$700
    5dii-$2000

TOTAL=$4100

5diii-$3400

That is less and leaves you with the 24-105 and the 100-400 and a 5diii