Page 124 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1363

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

FYI, for all of you interested in portraiture. Here is a short (1 hr and 53 minute) tutorial by Joel Grimes who does a lot of those gritty, contrasty and dramatic portraits of atheletes, musicians etc---plus he does a bunch of other stuff. He also has some other good video's on youtube and some detailed tutorials for sale on his website. ALthough he does portraits, there is a lot of good info to be had when watching his videos.

http://youtu.be/Z8m3bm6hC74
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Nick, as others have said---nice set. I agree with steve regarding a little more "grit" in the B&W. Also, in the first image of the redhead girl, there seems to be some kind of blue shadowing around her head shoulder and legs, like maybe you cloned something out or some other processing issue, not really sure, but definitely noticable on my monitor. Does anyone else see this, or do I need to go shopping again?
    In the first one, there is some gray around the feet, head, and little strip between her behind and the left edge of the frame. It looks like artifacts left from processing. The top one screams for a little vignetting. Other than that, I think you did a great job on these (#2 & 3 are my favorites).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    thanks for the feedback everyone

Bob...I do see that on this computer...I did the post work on a different monitor that apparently did not show that as well. I apparently did a rather poor job making the background more even colored. looks like I need to work on a better monitor

Steve, I actually did do another shot in B&W and processed it like what you describe
    Last edited by nvitalephotography; 10-10-2012 at 03:00 AM.

A still from a movie Nick, or a movie poster, that's gritty.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Most of you know that I don't do portraits, but I finally decided to try my hand at with my new grandson.

Maddox; 3 months old and already a football fan

7d, 50 1.2, ISO 100, F8, 1/250, canon 580 exII and 430 ex
    softbox left, fill light on the right bounced off the wall
    The original images had two catchlights in each eye---I didn't think about that when setting up. Also, fixing them wasn't as easy as I though because the cathclight crossed from the iris into the pupil which compounded the fix.

Comments and critiques are welcome

Bob

Not much else to say, except I really like it Bob. Great portrait of the little bloke.
    Did you have to set up any feeders?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Not much else to say, except I really like it Bob. Great portrait of the little bloke.
    Did you have to set up any feeders?
    Only for his parents

Thanks Steve,

Bob
    Bob

Wonderful portrait of a beautiful baby, Bob! Football!? Maybe he needs a GB Packer shirt for Christmas!

The bride's daughter which I hope to get another photo shoot with someday ...she is so photogenic! The last shot is the bride's nephew (I think). The hat was really causing a great deal of dark shadow over half of his face but now I think I may have brightened it too much.

Name:  R (56) resized.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  184.8 KB
    Name:  R (84) resized.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  188.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Most of you know that I don't do portraits, but I finally decided to try my hand at with my new grandson.

Maddox; 3 months old and already a football fan

7d, 50 1.2, ISO 100, F8, 1/250, canon 580 exII and 430 ex
    softbox left, fill light on the right bounced off the wall
    The original images had two catchlights in each eye---I didn't think about that when setting up. Also, fixing them wasn't as easy as I though because the cathclight crossed from the iris into the pupil which compounded the fix.

Comments and critiques are welcome

I forgot to ask you, Bob ...what size softbox do you have? I am think maybe at some point getting a larger one. My someday wishlist!