Page 30 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.89/IMG_5F00_5268.jpg[/img]

Canon 450D + 50mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.89/IMG_5F00_8156.jpg[/img]

Canon 40D + 55 - 250mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.64/Jordan-Kolarik_2D00_9163.jpg[/img]

Canon 20D :: 70-200 f/4L @ 131mm :: 1/200 @ f/4

Srobist info (little bit sketchy on this): 1 430EXII through 43" umbrella camera right. (no clue on power). 1 Vivitar 285 bare, camera left (lower power than 430EXII)

This is from a recent senior shoot. Critique is welcome. What do you think about the editing style? Like it? Hate it? Thanks!

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    This is from a recent senior shoot. Critique is welcome. What do you think about the editing style? Like it? Hate it? Thanks!

-Rodger
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    I think it's terrific Rodger. My only critique is that I find the harsh shadow cast by the bare Vivitar camera left a little distracting. I'd like to see what it would look like if you either:
    1. Moved the subject off the wall a little bit and stopped down to retain the definition in the wood. (edit: you may need to light your background separately though if you took this approach)
    2. Used another umbrella for your fill

That is completely just personal taste though and takes nothing away from your picture. I think it's time to start charging more than $50 for these!!! Great job.

I agree that the harsh shadow is distracting. It didn't show up on my LCD when I was checking the shots I thought the 430EXII would drown the Vivitar's shadow out a bit more than it did.

I probablycould have/should have gone with a softbox on the vivitar as it was too windy for another umbrella (I had a friend hold the 430EXII steady).

Thanks for your input Mark!!

I wouldn't mind the hard shadow so much if it was lower than the subject, as from a higher light source.

I'm not a fan of the post. I think it needs some texture, some grit, to pull that style off. Other than those little things I like it.

here's one I took of my friend today while playing in an abandoned house.

Exif and such:

F8.0 ISO 100 1/125 XTi w/ 24-70 F2.8 Cactus KF36 bounced out of an umbrella full power to the right, behind the wall and a 430ex at 1/16 (i think) camera left behind the wall bare. Comments/critiques are much appreciated.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.86/20100107_2D00_IMG_5F00_3617.jpg[/img]

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Nice shot Jordan!

I love the black foreground! I might have moved her to the [camera] left side and into the larger opening. That would give her a body rather than just a neck and head. Love the lighting you used though!

That looks like a veryy fun place to shoot!

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I wouldn't mind the hard shadow so much if it was lower than the subject, as from a higher light source.

Frick. You're absolutely right. Ahh what's that saying? hindsight is 20/20? I'll have to remember that for next time. (Not sure why I broke the standard "light from above" rule here).

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I think it needs some texture, some grit, to pull that style off.

Do you think some light brushing in CS4 with a "grunge" set would do the trick? Or possibly some more on the "clarity" slider in LR2 (just on the background). I do agree with you now on second thought. It seems a bit "smooth" overall for the lower saturation and hefty vignette.

Thanks for your advice Keith!

Rodger

I might have moved her to the [camera] left side and into the larger opening. That would give her a body rather than just a neck and head. Love the lighting you used though!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I have some similar to that but it was so cold (25-30 degrees) we didn't really have much choice in wearing something that would really look that good. we've made plans to go back when its warmer haha.

That looks like a veryy fun place to shoot!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

it's a great place to shoot, most of the plaster is falling apart, theres wholes everywhere in the walls, it's an all around amazing find [:P], it's just really dark since its all boarded up.

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Do you think some light brushing in CS4 with a "grunge" set would do the trick? Or possibly some more on the "clarity" slider in LR2 (just on the background). I do agree with you now on second thought. It seems a bit "smooth" overall for the lower saturation and hefty vignette.

Thanks for your advice Keith!

Rodger

Hmm. I think I probably desaturate the blues a little more and then mess with the Orange channel, darken, desaturate and increase the contrast a little, to give the skin a metallic quality. I increase the black point a little and maybe add some contrast.

In PS I'd duplicate the layer then add some noise (monochrome) then play with the layer blending modes to get something that works. That will give it some grit. Try your ideas too. They might work better. Don't know until you try.