Page 62 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Quote Originally Posted by DLS

Ohhh, okay...

just curious: why is there so much data associated with that particular photo? I'm seeing 34 lines of data.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

sorry about that bad copy and paste hurry job! ill try to fix asap in case its a huge task to sort through.

Quote Originally Posted by SalazarGarzaCapitalist

@Mark(Clemmb) This is a fantastic photo of what I presume is your wife,and future child,I hope? That 50 1.4 works very nicely,and now i know what i have been missing! I was actually thinking of getting the 50 1.4 and staying with the 135mm L before going with the 35l! I was thinking of either that combo, or even the 85mm 1.8 and the 135L only based on the reviews and specs, but at the end i wanted wider so i tried to get the elder 14mm despite the reviews, or even the 17-40 l but i stayed with the 35mm f/1.4! i think still that i should have went to the 17-40 for wides and the 85mm for its sharpness or event he awesome 100mm macro again! sorry for the rants! i was trying to get an understanding of things!

Thanks. She is a doll but she is the same age as my kids. She is actually a friend. We will be having a formal shoot in a few weeks with her husband.

I really like my 50 f1.4 but since I shoot full frame I would probably get the 85 f1.8 if I were doing it again. I plan on the 135 f2 as my next prime but that will probably be a while.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The ISO 50 was a very good point, though. To me, it doesn't make sense to use the L setting with a flash...

How so? I assumed the low setting was for the purpose of achieving the max of what my camera offers? I have used the low without flash and my results well sucked unless i was outdoors. i am in the process of understanding how to control the camera not vice versa!

[:$] I'm a still wet behind the ears 35 year old sorry for the assumption Great shot and utilization of lens! i highly recommend the 135mm f/2 it is awesome!

@ Thanks. She is a doll but she is the same age as my kids. She is
    actually a friend. We will be having a formal shoot in a few weeks with
    her husband.

I really like my 50 f1.4 but since I shoot full frame I would
    probably get the 85 f1.8 if I were doing it again. I plan on the 135 f2
    as my next prime but that will probably be a while.

Mark

Here is another,but i fear it is still in need of work!

Yet another that will surely get me killed by the Mrs.!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

bump up the ISO to 800 or so (5D does have really good low-noise at higher ISOs right?) to shorten your Tv for less motion blur.

Not sure motion blur is the problem - the strands of hair right against her cheek and chin are sharp and do not seem affected by motion blur.

A headshot on FF with a 35mm lens means the camera is very close to the subject - if the image is not cropped, the camera was ~18" from the subject, and that distance at f/1.4 it means the DoF is only ~0.5" thick. So the cheek is in focus (some skin features are visible, which I'd think would be gone with motion blur), but the(mostly obscured)eye is out of focus because it's outside the DoF. The general rule is to place focus priority on the eyes.

Yes, I was very close and this is not cropped, so you are correct Dr.! How on earth do you do it, oh wait math der lol. I was basically at I do distance! I have read about the eye rule over at the Cambridge website, but this camera and flash are heavy!

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/techniques.htm

Americo,

From my understanding, increasing the ISO increases how sensitive the sensor is to incoming light (the higher the ISO, the higher the sensitivity).

Increasing ISO allows for faster shutter speeds (if no other parameters change, that is).

I'm sure you will receive more technical explanations on this... []

The post of the same photo is much like the first. The DOP is very shallow. Her cheek and the few strands of hair falling across it are sharp but her lips and side of her head are not within the in-focus range. Try stopping your aperture down to f/2.0 or 2.8 and bump your ISO to 200 or 400...see what happens.

@ DLS

These parts I understand, but I also understand that this also increases the noise factor,hence my use of the 50iso. i should lower the pwer to my flash as much as possible or use those diffusers, but i am still learning, and still a bit 1300 poorer thanks to this lens!
    Holiday humor below for your viewing.

but I also understand that this also increases the noise factor,hence my use of the 50iso

That's true but you will probably not notice a difference in noise going from 50 to 400 (as you have a FF sensor). Plus, a little noise in a B&amp;W photo looks really good sometimes[]

but I also understand that this also increases the noise factor,hence my use of the 50iso

That's true but you will probably not notice a difference in noise going from 50 to 400 (as you have a FF sensor). Plus, a little noise in a B&amp;W photo looks really good sometimes[img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Yes thats true, in fact im working on something that needs high ISO just for the grain. here is what i came up with so far during testing tho!