Page 82 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Hi w349, yes I did sharpen the eyes to brighten the catch-light, I thought that I might've overdone it and the fact that you commented probably confirms it. It's encouraging to receive nice comments but I also really appreciate a critical eye because it helps me develop as a photographer. Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome!

1/30 sec

f 2.8

ISO 400

55 mm

@William, always take my opinion with a pinch of salt but I suspect the eye sharpening isn

Ok, so for this shot would you have gone higher ISO and faster shutter with IS turned off? On this particular day we were walking around the city and I took along the camera. The classic walk-around situation with an ideal walk-around lens. My style was to keep IS on, AV mode, and use ISO 100-200 for outside and 400 for indoors. f4-8 outside, f2.8 inside. So when I walked into this cafe I switched to 2.8 and ISO 400. I'm not yet sure how far I can push the 30D for ISO but I figured 400-500 would be about its limit before noise became an issue. At the end of the day if I'm forced to make a trade off I'd rather deal with noise in PP than blur. What's your thoughts?

(oh, when shooting f8 outside I bumped the ISO to 400 for these situations also).

I think in that situation I would have gone for 1/60 at ISO 800 and dealt with the noise in PP, like you say. But to contradict my earlier statement I would have kept IS turned on because 1/60 at ~85mm focal length (equivalent) is a speed I

To get some more photos in... here's a portrait of sorts that I posted in the pets thread. Canon 450D 17-55 @ 50mm, 1/200 at f/3.5, ISO 100. Lighting was provided by a bright 11am window covered with a bedsheet as a diffuser. Critique welcome of course.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/3343.Meeko-portrait.jpg[/img]

Belated Welcome to the Forums!

Perhaps a reflector on the left side of the face would light it up more. []

I'm only kidding.., it's a Very Cute Shot!

Rich

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/5977720139/in/set-72157624462568231/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 5D Mark II, EF 85mm f/1.2<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L II USM @ 1/160 s, f/1.8, ISO 100

@Rich - thanks for the welcome. I

@ w349, sorry for not pick up that you were new. I'm still learning who everyone is. Nice pick of the kitten, such a playful expression. Get any closer and expect a paw to reach out and play with the lens.

@ Nero, is that a difficult lens to shoot? I know it's a favorite for portraits but it's longish (not so much on 5D), very shallow when wide, and for kids who don't sit still...do you still get plenty of keepers? How do you get on with this beautiful but possibly challenging lens?

One of my first shots and one that motivated me to make this a hobby. Canon powershot S2 IS, Natural light shot on the kitchen floor, window behind with bounce from the cupboard and floor. My eldest son now six.

Hi, first shot I've uploaded in this side of the forum, but the cat further up inspired me to post it.

Was shot at ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/50s, 50mm using the 17-55mm kit (before I upgraded to the 15-85mm IS) on my dad's Canon 450D.

Lit by morning sunlight coming in through some very large windows at the other side of the room and a lot of bounce from a light wooden floor.

I think I was still shooting in Auto mode here, or at least AV and initially I was a little upset with the motion blur on Mickey's face, but the fact that his tongue is pretty sharp perhaps just brings the movement into the picture maybe? I'm not sure, I think I'd rather it was shaper. I'd still appreciate any comments on it, especially anything I could do in PP, because so far I've limited myself to colour balance and sharpening.

[View:http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5918305022_7fc25cfb77_b.jpg]

You'll see if you open the image in Flickr that I had a shot from before and after the yawn too which were a bit better on the blur front.