Page 2 of 137 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Alan

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/mom-and-baby-2.jpg[/img]

Awesome, Alan.

I normally don't like black backgrounds (prejudice maybe came from macro), but this works perfectly. I love how the baby's face is in full light and the woman (mother, I assume) is in a bit of shadow. I also like the just visible hanging hair. Finally, I like the composition. I always go way tighter, so when I see people pull back and include a plain background and have it work so well, I think "I never would have thought to do that"

Alan

John, thanks.

Since I knew the mother was going to wear a black dress, I switched to a black background. I used a soft box on the right, to highlight the baby's face, and a reflector to the left to lighten the mother's face just a bit, but to also keep it in the shadows, as you pointed out. I wanted her hand in the picture and I told her to look at a fixed object, to help give her a contemplative look. The baby cooperated, fortunately, since she was looking all over the place up to this point.

Here's a couple of my favs from my nearly 3000 photo library in Lightroom, who knows how much more I had before I got Lightroom. And I use the amazing 85mm f/1.8 USM for just about all instances whenever I'm shooting people.

Canon Rebel XT, 1/200 second , F/2.2, 85 mm, ISO 400

Canon Rebel XT, 1/60 second , F/1.8, 85 mm, ISO 800

Canon Rebel XT, 1/1250 second , F/1.8, 85 mm, ISO 1600

Canon Rebel XT, 1/640 second , F/1.8, 85 mm, ISO 200

Canon Rebel XT, 1/800 second , F/3.2, 85 mm, ISO 200

Canon Rebel XT, 1/250 second , F/5.0, 85 mm, ISO 200

sowwie if the amount of images is a little excessive, I just had the time to broswe my library and upload them. ^_^

Great Thread, I love portraits, I wish I had more willing subjects.

My kids run now when they see me with my camera.

I am sorry if they havesome technicalflaws. I am blind to them as I can tell I havepreserved some of their souls in these.

a few more http://www.flickr.com/photos/talicoa/

Tom

Tom: sometimes when subjects are camera shy or don't even make contact with the viewer at all, gives photographs something special like your first shot. It's very good. There's a vulnerability and shiness (is that a word in English) that you can feel. I like that shot a lot actually.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.42/James-EyeWeb.jpg[/img]

XSi 85mm f/1.8 @ 2.2,1/2000, ISO 800.

In my view, this shot is an example of wrong ISO and shutter speedbeing overcome by lucky timing and composition.

Thanks, Alan, for those details. I see it doesn't happen by accident []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.68/Eugene-2.jpg[/img]

This is an portrait of Eugene taken in natural late afternoon sunlight during the summer months in the SF Bay Area.