Page 84 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Quote Originally Posted by William

The camera work is spot-on IMO, but I agree that there is something not quit right with the last image editing-wise. It's got a cool cross-processing thing going on but it just doesn't fit with the adorableness of the subject. I think the first image is fantastic, it's so warm and cheerfully intimate. It would be nice to see this carried over into the last image.

Definitely, the out-of-camera image is dull and in need of PP. Maybe a little push with the warmth slider in LR, a smidge of fill light and recovery. Possibly some black, vibrance and clarity to taste. Finished off with a tighter crop to remove the dog. I think her expression is just precious and it made me chuckle when I saw it. Hope you don't mind the critique

Nope, don't mind the critique. Glad to finally get some. I know the PP is a bit over-done, but as I hit that look, I liked it over anything else I'd been able to get from the image. I'll have another attempt at a more standard style this evening.

edit: And thanks for the kind words on the first two.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

"ham, I

Quote Originally Posted by ham

Hi, first shot I've uploaded in this side of the forum, but the cat further up inspired me to post it.

Was shot at ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/50s, 50mm using the 17-55mm kit (before I upgraded to the 15-85mm IS) on my dad's Canon 450D.

I think I was still shooting in Auto mode here, or at least AV and initially I was a little upset with the motion blur on Mickey's face, but the fact that his tongue is pretty sharp perhaps just brings the movement into the picture maybe? I'm not sure, I think I'd rather it was shaper. I'd still appreciate any comments on it, especially anything I could do in PP, because so far I've limited myself to colour balance and sharpening.

[View:http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5918305022_7fc25cfb77_b.jpg]

Hi Ham,

I think the shot looks good the way it is, but if you would like to freeze the motion better, then you will have to up your shutter speed, which would require a wider aperture, higher ISO, or more light.

I hope that helps!

Rich

@Dave, I love the exposure and framing of the 2nd shot. That

Quote Originally Posted by William

What are your thoughts?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head - it's all about intention. A few weeks ago I caught a glimpse of a short article in a magazine where a photographer explained how he obtained a powerful image of a boy crying at his mother's funeral. I must admit my gut reaction was to feel a bit nauseated, and at the time I decided not to buy the magazine because of it... but then I started to wonder: under what circumstances was a professional photographer at this funeral? Perhaps his mother was killed or died in some way that could benefit from public attention (all speculation). As with everything in life, there are always two sides to a story! And even the best of intentions can still be misguided or ill-thought-out. By the way, the war photographer you speak of sounds insanely brave! Emphasis on insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

@W349, Very powerful images! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. It's my pleasure!

William, I've re-tried to get a decent image out of the last shot... but I still can't find a way to make it work to my liking in natural tones... Or atleast, while in color.

I tried doing a B&amp;W treatment on it, and I'm happier with that. At the very least it gets rid of the jarring red and blue agility equipment from in the background.

R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Oh, and I love the homeless woman shot W349.

Looking for some critique on this one. This is the first time that I have taken a photo knowing in my mind I would be converting it to B&amp;W. Did all of the editing in LR3. Not sure about the grain, think I may have gone over the top a bit.

This is my buddy Matt. Currently in pre-production of his first film. He didn't have any photos to speak of.. He's the guy that has his hand up blocking his face in every picture. Took these for him, kicking and screaming the whole way.

<span>Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon EF 100mm 2.8L IS USM Macro

<span>ISO: 100
    f-stop: f/2.8
    Exposure: 1/50 sec.
    Focal Length: 100mm

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/3252.IMG_5F00_8992.jpg[/img]

The Original unedited:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/0181.IMG_5F00_8992_2D00_2.jpg[/img]
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I think the B&amp;W is a definite improvement over the original color version. Much tougher look. The background grain doesn

@thekingb - could it be because the sheen in B&amp;W is more pronounced from the increase in contrast setting? (White becomes whiter, Black becomes darker)