Thread: Lens Value Range? 500mm f/4 L IS version 1

Lens Value Range? 500mm f/4 L IS version 1

I'm going to sell my used 500 supertele lens due to simple lack of use. I never became the wildlife photographer I planned. I will be posting it in the buy/sell forum.

I've been perusing the internet but haven't found really good insight into what I should be asking for it. I'm neither looking for absolute top dollar nor do I want to give it away. It'd be easier if version 1 were still in production as I could simply calculate a percent of new cost. There is one on ebay right now that's from a seller with good feedback and is priced BIN $6999. Is this in the ballpark or is he/she just hoping?

FWIW it's in nearly new condition, includes all that came with it new, also a black LensCoat and an aftermarket lens cap that's easier to use.

I sincerely appreciate any help. gary

I'm having a similar problem pricing my good-as-new 35mm f/2

They're still selling for £220 new, and mine is as good as, so I was thinking £190-£200. I've had an offer of £160, but I think it's too low.

Quote Originally Posted by waltgary View Post
    I'm going to sell my used 500 supertele lens due to simple lack of use. I never became the wildlife photographer I planned. I will be posting it in the buy/sell forum.

I've been perusing the internet but haven't found really good insight into what I should be asking for it. I'm neither looking for absolute top dollar nor do I want to give it away. It'd be easier if version 1 were still in production as I could simply calculate a percent of new cost. There is one on ebay right now that's from a seller with good feedback and is priced BIN $6999. Is this in the ballpark or is he/she just hoping?

FWIW it's in nearly new condition, includes all that came with it new, also a black LensCoat and an aftermarket lens cap that's easier to use.

I sincerely appreciate any help. gary
    I have been watching the prices for a while because I am going to sell mine soon. I see them going from $6,300 on the low end and high end in stores on ebay selling up to $6,900. If someone had 63 real US hundred dollar bills they could own mine. I will probably end up taking mine to the local camera shop, they told me they would sell it on commission.

Series 1 500mm f/4 is

The new price for your information at Camera Canada is $7300.00 Cdn.

Thanks all for the info. I note "6300 on the low end" so I think I'll shoot for 6k with the cap and LensCoat. Hopefully that'll eliminate the hassle of a long drawn out sale. Thanks again, gary

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincharan06 View Post
    Nice discussions going.... keep on posting... very useful information are there....:-)

Uhh? Sure I guess.

About 6 months ago they were around $6500-$6700 for newer lens, and around $5500 for older lenses. I haven't seen one for sale for a while now. I check fredmiranda buy/sell forum regularly to keep up with prices.

Sinh: Thank you for replying. I'm going to post it here today. I don't think I can post to the Fred Miranda Buy and Sell with my "public" email address? Anyways that's what happened some years ago when I tried selling my 24-70L. Maybe after I post it here in Buy/Sell I'll try there as well. Thanks again. gary

Sorry. My question marks were for a reply that made no coherent sense. I'm guessing it was deleted by a forum administrator. The lens is in the Buy and Sell Forum. gary