Thread: Rebel xti w/ canon 70/200 f/4

Rebel xti w/ canon 70/200 f/4

I have a rebel XTI , i am currently using a Sigma 18/200 3.5-6.0, nice lense but useless in low light situations, i looking to purchase a Canon 70/200 f/4 w/o IS. Is this a good combination, Will this lense work with this camera body. All feedback, comments and criticism welcomes

It would help to know more about your goal. Are you trying to replace the Sigma? Add a second lens? Add a lens that is truly useful in low light situations?

The 70-200 f/4 will certainly "work" on the XTI, and it's a fine lens, but it's probably not the best combination. The lack of IS on the XTI will require pretty good light to get adequate sharpness. And if you expect it to be your only lens, 70mm on a crop body is too long.

Please share more about your interests, goals, etc.

Brian

My main goal is for little league photography, plus scenic shoots, photographing my kids. This will be a secondary lense. I'm keeping my Sigma. My sigma does OK, But when it gets a little cloudy or dusk it's over, and i'm not with in flash reach. Can you explain or refer me to what you mean buy "crop body". I guess my objective would be low light sport photography.

Given the budget the 70-200mm f/4 is your best and only option for what you want to do, but if you slightly stretch that you can get the Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 non-IS and will be much better than the f/4 (twice as much light) but the focus is not as fast or consistant as Canon. For about a grand you can get a used canon 70-200mm f/2.8 non-IS and get fast acurate AF with the brighter aperture.

When refering to crop bodies it means that the senor is 60% smaller than Full Frame (which is the same size as 35mm film). Because of this you will gather 60% or 1.3 stops less light, 60% or 1.3 stops more DOF, 60% or 1.6x longer effective focal length and 60% or 1.3 stops worst noise (because of 60% less light) assuming the same sensor technology. You will also crop away lens resolution so depending on the lens it can be marginal to very noticible.

Hopefully that will be enough to get you confused....

Cheers,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!