Thread: 100mm F2.8 L IS macro lens

100mm F2.8 L IS macro lens

I'm looking at purchasing this lens, but want to make sure that it's not set to be replaced in the near future. Has anyone read any rumors on this?
    --

You really don't have to be afraid of that. This is a relatively very new lens.
    If there will be another macro lens with IS it will probably be of a different focal length. Either longer or shorter.

Go ahead and get the 100mm L IS. It's a great lens; the only thing you're missing by waiting is great pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. I can see a 180/200mm L lens with Hybrid IS in the reasonably near future, possibly a stabilized replacement for the EF-S 60mm. But the 100L is just a baby in terms of Canon lens age. Plus, it's a great lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Go ahead and get the 100mm L IS. It's a great lens; the only thing you're missing by waiting is great pictures.
    Well put!
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Great, it's on sale right now so I think I'll buy it. I had an oppertunity this past weekend to photos with it during the "Canon Photography in the Parks" @ Acadia National Park. Thanks everyone.
    --

I received mine in October of 09, pre-ordered it the day it was released and probably had the first one in my town. It is a three year old lens and it seems Canon updates about every 8 to 10 years.

As others have mentioned, I have heard the 180mm/200mm L rumors for years and if and when such an animal is released I will pre-order it immediately.

Sigma's 180mm f/2.8 OS might be of intrest then. Fast aperture, long focal length and OS. It just doesn't have the red ring, I guess we will just have to wait for Canon for that.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!