Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 60d vs T4i? Budget minded

If you want to do HDR's you owe it to yourself to check out Photomatix, it's my favorite HDR software so far.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Yep, I miss read a different summary. I am stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Dog View Post
    I think the AF points are the same on both cameras. From Canon's website regarding AF points:

• T4i: "9 points (All AF points are cross-type at f/5.6., Center AF point is diagonal cross-type at f/2.8.)"
    • 60D: "9 (Cross-type, Center AF point with dual cross sensor for f/2.8)"
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I was in your shoes about three months ago, and I wound up purchasing the t4i 2 months ago, I retuned it 2 weeks later. I took 700 shots with it and they looked good. After a lot of forum, internet, and photo-group research I purchased the 60D. I have taken about a 1000 pics (give or take) and the 60D IQ is much much better. I choose the 60D over the 7D for various reason, but the main reason for was to save the money and purchase a higher quality lens.

Back to the t4i vs the 60D... you will read reviews until you are blue in the face, but if you physically hold them side by side and see examples of pics from each, in my opinion, its a no brainier, 60D.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    I was in your shoes about three months ago, and I wound up purchasing the t4i 2 months ago, I retuned it 2 weeks later. I took 700 shots with it and they looked good. After a lot of forum, internet, and photo-group research I purchased the 60D. I have taken about a 1000 pics (give or take) and the 60D IQ is much much better. I choose the 60D over the 7D for various reason, but the main reason for was to save the money and purchase a higher quality lens.

Back to the t4i vs the 60D... you will read reviews until you are blue in the face, but if you physically hold them side by side and see examples of pics from each, in my opinion, its a no brainier, 60D.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions for me.
    I'm surprised to hear you found the 60D IQ to be superior. The sensors should be roughly equivalent for stills. I use a 60D too so I'm not complaining, but am just curious if maybe the lens(es) you were using weren't playing nice with the camera? (focus was not consistently achieved with T4i).

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I'm surprised to hear you found the 60D IQ to be superior. The sensors should be roughly equivalent for stills. I use a 60D too so I'm not complaining, but am just curious if maybe the lens(es) you were using weren't playing nice with the camera? (focus was not consistently achieved with T4i).

Dave
    You are probably right Dave, I am very new to photography and my experience is limited. I had the kit lens (18-55) on the t4i, and now I shoot with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM (which I love) on my 60D. Perhaps my IQ comparison is not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    I had the kit lens (18-55) on the t4i, and now I shoot with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM (which I love) on my 60D. Perhaps my IQ comparison is not fair.
    Indeed. It's like a BMW 525i vs a BMW M5. Both bodies are great, but the engines have nothing in common. The 17-55 f/2.8 would be excellent on the t4i too.

I think your comparison is about lenses and not IQ of the bodies. They use the same sensors, have virtually the same noise levels and I have not seen any sharpness difference worth noting. The 17-55mm is a cult lens for 1.6 bodies (IS, fast aperture, good sharpness) so I am not suprised that you find the IQ on your 60D is much better. But not because of the body.

Cheers,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!