Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60d vs T4i? Budget minded

60d vs T4i? Budget minded

I am torn between going in on a T4i with the 18-135 lens or the 60D with the equivalent 18-135 lens. I had a T3i but it met a poor fate via water. I like the controls on the 60d but does the improvements to the autofocus and sensors of the t4i really make it any better if I don't plan to use the video functions? I'm leaning 60D but is it worth the extra cash? I'm not wanting to wait much longer so waiting for the next 60D version is out of the question this time. HELP PLEASE!

Both are nice. Some advantages to the 60D...

-- More comfortably sized for the average adult male
    -- Top LCD
    -- 1/3 ISO increments
    -- 1/8000 shutter speed capability
    -- 2 dials
    -- C mode
    -- 1/250 shutter w/ flash

Dave

Was there anything you did/didn't like (size, form, swivel screen, ISO range) about the T3i before it passed?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I liked the t3i but I didn't care for how I had to change settings on the fly. I really like the external display by the shutter release. It seems easier and quicker. But is there enough difference in performance to set on apart from another. Also, what exactly is C mode?

This is an interesting question.

Dave hit the differences except 9 pt focusing is all cross type vs. just the center on the 60d. Does this change the focusing speed/accuracy?

The rest is pretty much ergonomics, size, sound of the shutter, touch screen, wheel vs. buttons. Is the sensor able to go one more stop of iso or is the digic 5 processor which gives you what difference in high iso of just underexposing the pix 1 stop and pushing it in the computer?

Both will load Magic Lantern which gives you the 1/3 stop function and all kinds of other stuff (intervalometer, etc).

I am still holding on to my T3i for the moment. go play at a best buy the size/feel and flip the coin
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Custom setting getting you going in the right direction if you use certain settings a lot. Mine are set for stuff like HDR bracketing and birds in flight. To adjust the setting on the fly, you might forget a setting or in case of unexpected flying birds, miss the shot. Nice to have, but have a few issues with them.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

60D is all cross type too.

Both are really nice cameras. The T4i is more modern (digic V processor, touch LCD, some other nice features), but there are things Canon does like the full ISO instead of 1/3 stops that make it harder to use. The other biggie for me is the size of the camera and the quality of the viewfinder.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    This is an interesting question.

Dave hit the differences except 9 pt focusing is all cross type vs. just the center on the 60d. Does this change the focusing speed/accuracy?

The rest is pretty much ergonomics, size, sound of the shutter, touch screen, wheel vs. buttons. Is the sensor able to go one more stop of iso or is the digic 5 processor which gives you what difference in high iso of just underexposing the pix 1 stop and pushing it in the computer?

Both will load Magic Lantern which gives you the 1/3 stop function and all kinds of other stuff (intervalometer, etc).

I am still holding on to my T3i for the moment. go play at a best buy the size/feel and flip the coin

The 60D and T4i both cost $1200 for the bundle deal. For me it's a no brainer, the 60D. As far is IQ is concerned on the DP review comparison the 60D looks just hair better (mabye different partern in the noise) than the T4i.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by FastGass View Post
    The 60D and T4i both cost $1200 for the bundle deal. For me it's a no brainer, the 60D. As far is IQ is concerned on the DP review comparison the 60D looks just hair better (mabye different partern in the noise) than the T4i.

John.
    the 20% off deal for refurbished one is still available, 6D with 18-135mm is only $1039.20, before 20% off
    here is the link from Bryan, http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/, check in Wednesday's news, will expired after August 31

I went with the 60d very recently

Quote Originally Posted by garand4life View Post
    I had a T3i but it met a poor fate via water.
    The 60d does also have some weather sealing in addition to what others have mentioned.