Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder Strap Help

Steph,
    Just what environment are you looking to use this in? There might be other solutions than a strap. I have a Peak Design Capture clip on the shoulder strap of my small bag - lowenpro photorunner. I use the shoulder strap approach across my left shoulder and the bag on my right hip. (slope shouldered football stuff, I can't keep shoulder strap on unless my neck is in the way). I have it angled, etc so that the camera weight is on the clip and the lens rests on the top of the bag. If I am in real dicey area - over water, etc. I use a handstap threaded through the quick release for the Peak Design.

It takes a little jiggering around but it is a handy way to take a small bag keep your hands free, move the weight to a broad shoulder strap, etc.

My two pennies worth.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

My Blackrapid strap is THE workhorse of my kit. I have used it extensively internationally, lots of hiking, etc. I've tried others too. Nothing compares at this point. I have no concerns about the way it attaches to the tripod socket. For active use, it's the best solution IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    My Blackrapid strap is THE workhorse of my kit. I have used it extensively internationally, lots of hiking, etc. I've tried others too. Nothing compares at this point. I have no concerns about the way it attaches to the tripod socket. For active use, it's the best solution IMO.
    Ditto, Black Rapid carries it for me.
    Bob

Another vote for the Black Rapid. I use the RS-Sport Version.

Here's a few more brands:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0083/1012/files/AP-Strap-Test.pdf?1014

R
    ich

+1 Black Rapid.

I have the dual strap harness. Splits up to use for one camera. Think it is called the Black rapid DR-2

Had it for a little over 6 months now and love it!

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Interesting. I reccomended the Cinch shoulder strap by Luma Labs yesterday. http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

As mentioned, I use it and love it. They had been promising a solution for tripod plates, and they have it now. So now you can have this strap AND a tripod plate mounted at all times. Even better.

http://luma-labs.com/products/m-connect
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm guessing that if the tripod mount really caused long term issues people would be all over these forums. I think hearing your reasoning will help to talk myself out of the big concern. Thanks

Put it this way, if your camera is on the end of your tripod, you'd have no problem inverting the centre column would you?

The only issue I've found is if I'm wearing jeans or trousers with protruding metal rivets. Luckily only one pair of my jeans does so I just don't wear them when I'm taking the BR out.

I use an OP/Tech Utility Strap Sling that I've retrofitted with BlackRapid connecting hardware. The OP/Tech sling doesn't have pockets but is less bulky and looks more comfortable. But the BR hardware is a lot more confidence inspiring than the plastic OP/Tech connectors. If you don't want to bother mixing and matching, just go with a BR sling.

I started using the sling last October for shooting weddings. It was a revelation - so much easier on the neck and back than a neck strap. I'll never go back.
    Last edited by Black_Dog; 09-06-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Black Rapid do some very un-bulky straps too, without pockets. I've got one of the RS Sport ones (comes with a BRAD under-arm bit) and it's much smaller than some of the others.