Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Strap Help

Shoulder Strap Help

So I'm looking at upgrading the strap on my 60D from the Canon strap and I think a shoulder strap would be most functional. The one issue I have is that everyone on the forums tends to lean towards the Black Rapid but I'm not sold on using the tripod mount for my strap.

Does anyone have any suggestions on shoulder straps that use the actual strap connections?

Can anyone give me a good reason for why I shouldn't really care or be concerned by using the tripod mount?

Thanks everyone,
    Brian

Definitely recommend the Blackrapid. I'm not aware of any shoulder straps that use the regular strap lugs (although I've seen lots of people wearing the Canon strap across the chest). One issue I could see with a shoulder strap and the regular lugs is that makes it awkward to get the camera into shooting position. The upside down position with the BR strap is fast to lift to the eye.

About the tripod socket - what do you use it for? Do you actually thread your open socket onto the 1/4"-20 screw on a platform every time you shoot from a tripod? Or do you use a quick-release plate? (If you don't, I'd consider it!)

If you do use a QR plate, what kind? I used the Manfrotto RC2 plates for a while - in that case, BR makes a FastenR-T1 which replaces the Manfrotto D-ring (and is designed to support a load). You simply unclip the carabiner from the FastenR to mount the plate to the clamp. I had several of those, one for each plate. They were great, although the slight play between plate and clamp led me to Arca-Swiss type plates/clamps eventually.

Currently, I have Wimberley/RRS plates on all cameras and tripod collars. I attached the BR FastenR-3 lug to a Kirk 1" clamp (semipermanently with a bit of Loctite Blue), so I can easily move the BR strap connection point from camera to tripod collar or remove it to mount to a tripod/monopod clamp. It's a great system, IMO.

I use a BosStrap by BosTail to attach my Black Rapid strap to the strap connectors.

+1 for the Black Rapid is the way to go, it is the best I have found. You can comfortably carry your camera without it weighing on you.

Quote Originally Posted by badbnl1533 View Post
    Can anyone give me a good reason for why I shouldn't really care or be concerned by using the tripod mount?

Because it is the way to hook up the Black Rapid, and the comfort of the Black Rapid is worth it. That is enough reason for me.

If you haven't been to Black Rapid's website I would recommend going to answer some of your questions.
    Watch the video is very informative. http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

When I need a shoulder strap, I use my blackrapid.

Most of the time I just have one of these wrist straps http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

I use the Cinch by Luma Labs. http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

It attaches at TWO points so the camera cannot "twirl" at all on just one attachment point.

It also has the oh-so-handy ability to "cinch up" for snug carrying, and to "cinch out" for extra slack for shooting. I love it.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

This is the one that I have and use it all the time. Once you get one, you'll never use the old strap again.

I had a look at those BR straps few days ago and they look pretty good but my 7D is always gripped and I'm a bit concerned by the whole camera +lens being carried with two screws and therefore two weak points...

Also, in which situations do you prefer a BR strap over a lowepro toploader (see reviews in the review section)?

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I had a look at those BR straps few days ago and they look pretty good but my 7D is always gripped and I'm a bit concerned by the whole camera +lens being carried with two screws and therefore two weak points...
    I've carried a gripped 7D, gripped 5DII, or 1D X, much of the time with a big white zoom (28-300L, 100-400L, or 70-200/2.8L IS II) from a BR strap for two years. The only sign of stress/wear is the leading edge of the nylon strap has become a little frayed. I doubted that would affect the integrity of the strap, but to be certain, I emailed BR support. They agreed that there was no danger, but they sent me a new RS-4 for free, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Also, in which situations do you prefer a BR strap over a lowepro toploader (see reviews in the review section)?
    I've got the Lowepro Toploader Pro 65AW and 75AW. They're great for transporting the camera, plus I can strap a Lens Case to the side for an extra lens, and with the 75AW, either the 40/2.8 pancake or a 430EX II can fit in the side pocket.

So, when would I choose the BR over the Toploader? Any time I actually want to *use* the camera. With the BR strap, lifting the camera to my eye is very fast. If it's stuck in the Toploader, you'll miss shots. I do sometimes sling a Toploader hanging on my left side with a second lens, and the BR with the camera hanging on the right.