Thread: Europe Travel Tripod

Europe Travel Tripod

I'm embarking on a trip to Europe to backpack around next year for a couple of weeks. When backpack I mean city hop on planes, trains, boats, and buses. Mainly going through Spain, Portugal, Italy, Croatia, and other places around southern Europe. I currently have a Sirui BSRT025 tripod. It was a good first attempt until I started using it. It is not stable and seems very top heave when fully extended. Two weeks ago I pulled the trigger on the new Manfrottow 294 4 piece aluminum tripod. I actually like it a whole lot, but.....just too heavy for traveling around with in a backpack with all my clothes and gear. So I'm now on a hunt for the perfect solution. I mainly will shoot landscapes when using the tripod, both in city and out in the country. I'm trying to guess the right height, since I've never been to Europe I'm no positive what is actually a useful size. My gear currently is an Canon XSI, EF-S 15-85mm and 70-200 f4L. I plan on having a Canon 5D mk III by the time I go, and will probably end up with the 24-70L to go with it.

What's your budget? The RRS TQC-14 Tripod with BH-30 LR Ballhead looks quite nice, 3.3 lbs and 20.5" long collapsed. But not cheap...

You might also look at the Benro Travel Angel CF tripod, it looks interesting although I've no direct experience.

Personally, I've got a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 and 468MG ballhead that is sturdy, pretty light, and fits in an airline carryon hard case.

Go with the neuroanatomist recommendation on the 190CX PRO4 it is compact, light, and sturdy.

The three section is longer and I found no extra stability.
    Make sure you get the PRO (center post is able to be extended and angled, good for ground work or macro).

The price is reasonable (definitely get the carbon fiber and not the aluminum)

Remeber your EF-S lens wont work on the full frame 5D3 so make sure you have a wide angle for your landascapes.
    I use the 24 1.4 as it doubles as a great indoor lens in low light. Also the 17-40 f4 is great for landscapes.

Also be careful as a lot of major indoor venues do not allow tripods in parts of Europe.
    Last edited by iND; 09-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Regarding your comment about wobbling when fully extended, never extend a center column unless you absolutely need it - it's a big source of instability.

I do think Manfrotto is the best compromise between quality and value. Before getting the 468MG head (and putting a Wimberley C-12 clamp on it for Arca Swiss-type plates), I had the 488RC2 ballhead (replaced by the 498RC2). The 488/498 is a good ballhead, although there's a little bit of settling with a heavy rig (gripped body and 70-200/2.8 size zoom). It supports the weight fine, you just have to point the lens a little higher than you want it, if that makes sense. That can mean a little fiddling to get a critical adjustment, as does the slight play in the RC2 system. The AS-type clamps hold firmly, and the 468MG stays where I lock it. But I'd recommend the 498RC2 as a good, useable head.

Down the line, I may replace my Manfrotto with the RRS TQC-14 - it's shorter (the Manfrotto fits in my Storm im2500 carryon hard case, but I have to remove the head for travel; the RRS would fit with the head on) and it's lighter. But like I said, not cheap...

Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the 190CXPRO4. I'm not sold on the swivel center post. Don't see that as something I would ever use, and seems like extra weight to me. I can't find one similar without the swivel. Am I just missing it? Also need a head. I really am looking for something with an arca plate type mount, don't really want QR. I use a peak design belt clamp system that also works on clamp type ball heads.

The PRO versions have the patented quick center column system that now uses a tri-faceted 100% full carbon fiber tube, magnesium die castings and magnesium top plate with an integrated leveling bubble.
    The 190CX also comes in a simpler version called the 190CX3. This three section tripod also uses 100% carbon fiber tubes; however, it features the traditional aluminum center column without the quick center column system.

Manfrotto 190CX3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod without Head

List Price: $249.99
    Price: $215.55

I believe they both weigh 2.9 lbs
    Last edited by iND; 09-06-2012 at 08:53 PM.