Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade form 7D to 1DIV

Upgrade form 7D to 1DIV

The success of the 1DX has resulted in more used 1DIV's becoming available on eBay and CL in the $3000~3500 range.

I have thought about upgrading my 7D for wildlife and sports (personal use only) to a 1D platform and the 1DX is outside of my budgetary grasp for a while, so question to those who have made this move.....

How significant is the difference in performance?
    Last edited by DanoPhoto; 09-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

It is massive.

The difference in the AF system outweighs any perceived benefit that you may think the 7D has.

The quality of the pictures directly out of the 1D IV are superior to the 7D’s directly out of the camera. The 1D IV has much better contrast than the 7D. You can get close to the same image quality with the 7D if you are willing to work at it in post.
    I thought it was a worthy upgrade when the 7D was $1,600 and the 1D IV was $4,500.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoPhoto View Post
    The success of the 1DX has resulted in more used 1DIV's becoming available on eBay and CL in the $3000~3500 range.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    It is massive.

The difference in the AF system outweighs any perceived benefit that you may think the 7D has.

The quality of the pictures directly out of the 1D IV are superior to the 7D’s directly out of the camera. The 1D IV has much better contrast than the 7D. You can get close to the same image quality with the 7D if you are willing to work at it in post.
    I thought it was a worthy upgrade when the 7D was $1,600 and the 1D IV was $4,500.
    Now that you have definitively answered the question of the 1D IV vs. the 7D, I would like to pose a little different question that I have been woundering about. Now that a used 1D IV is in the same price range as a new 5D III, shouldn't the 5D III be in the mix with this comparison? When comparing those two it gets a little muddier (keep in mind one is used and the other new). Which would provide better IQ, DR, and/or better focus? I get that there is a 1.3 crop factor difference, and a frame rate difference, and focus with TC's; but then I am tending to be leaning towards wanting a FF and I really like the idea of a camera that handles low light noise. So I think I would be leaning more towards the 5D III (although I am quite sure I would like the 1D IV if I had one), and I like the idea of a new camera with warranty if I am going to spend that kind of money.

Rick - Any thoughts in comparing a used 1D IV vs. a new 5D III for about the same money?

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

@conropl, DanoPhoto specifically mentioned sports and wildlife. I think you would still want the speed of the 1D IV over the new 5D III for that type of shooting.

As far as noise the 1D IV cleans up nicely in Light Room, I find the 5D II IQ and 1D IV to not be far off from each other. I favor the 1D IV as a walk around because of the superior AF.

For an all around camera I would probably go with the 5D III over the 1D IV if its AF is as good as they say.

For sports and wildlife I would still hang with the 1D IV, the AF system on the 1D IV is so good I haven't even thought it really needed an upgrade. You still need the 10fps for sports and for wildlife the 1.3 crop helps.

Thanks Rick & Pat.

I only entered into FF in the past several months and am still gettign to know my 5D2 and what it can do. The 5D3 would be the best single camera solution for the price, but was looking more specifically at expanding my capabilities in just the sports and birding arenas.

The 1DIV really has my interest but the lack of warranty is a small concern. do either of you have any experience with the Canon refurb store and its limited warranty?

Dan.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

I have considered the same upgrade recently. The real question for me was if I can afford $5k for a 1DIV couldn't I afford $7k for the 1DX---I hadn't really shopped around yet, but after ready this post and seeing that the cost on the 1DIV has dropped significantly I may rethink the options----The 1DIV is still a heck of a camera for wildlife and sports.

Thanks Dano, for posing the question and causing me to re-evaluate

Bob
    Bob

Not as a refurb, but I have sent lenses and a 5D II that were under warranty. They honor their warranty.
    I wouldn't hesitate buying a refurb.

thanks for the link. sent PM to see if still available.

tread cautiously, his first post was a for sale post.