Thread: Infrared Photography

Infrared Photography

How can one find out if a certain camera can take IR shots? I have an XSi. I held a remote control up to my camera and looked through the viewfinder, I could see light. Is that an effective test?

It just seems like a very interesting area of photography, especially for a landscaper like me.

My understanding is you have to find our if your camera's sensor can even register IR light. If so, then you have to get an IR filter that cuts out all or most visible light and letting the IR through.

Anyone have experience with this?

Anyone have pictures? Post them!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Re: Infrared Photography

I'm definitely not an IR expert, but I think you will find some experts here:

http://www.maxmax.com/OpticalProducts.htm

Digital sensors are very sensitive to IR light and have IR filters (every digital camera except the Leica M8). In order to use a digital camera for IR photography, you have to remove the IR filter. There is a company, Life Pixel, that will convert your camera for you (optional) and provides information and supplies for IR photography. For more information (including pictures and tutorials) see the following link:

http://www.lifepixel.com/index.html

Thank you Bryan and wolf, I'll check these links out!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8