Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon "Low Cost" Full Frame

What if it didn't have auto focus? Ol' skool with a screen meant for manual focus at an affordable price. There is your answer. I'm in
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

That $2599 5D2 price with 24-105L is very tempting. Would it be stupid to buy a 5D2 given it is older technology? The IQ is still outstanding although the camera is getting long in the tooth.

For users like me blowing that much money on a camera would have an expectation of it being the camera of primary use for at least 5 years.

Dave

I bought a 5D Mark II around last Christmas, and it's just about everything I need for portraiture. It's still a fantastic camera at a better-than-ever price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dave the 5D II is an excellent camera.
    The premise of your original post is the rumors that next week Canon will announce a new low end FF camera. So yea...I would consider it stupid if you bought one today before next weeks event. After the event if they do not release the rumored FF camera then it might not be a bad deal. Keep in mind in 5 years the 5D II will be over 8 years old. In five years we may be talking about a 5D V, or pre-ordering one.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Dave the 5D II is an excellent camera.
    The premise of your original post is the rumors that next week Canon will announce a new low end FF camera. So yea...I would consider it stupid if you bought one today before next weeks event. After the event if they do not release the rumored FF camera then it might not be a bad deal. Keep in mind in 5 years the 5D II will be over 8 years old. In five years we may be talking about a 5D V, or pre-ordering one.
    Understood! Nikon appears to be driving the boat on this one and their low cost full frame evidently isn't as low cost as people thought it was. I guess they are supposed to come out with a press release of theirs tomorrow, but word on street is $2100 or so expected.

I can't imagine Canon offering a lower cost body than Nikon given recent economics so we may be talking $2500 for the body only. If Canon DID come out with the 6D and it was at the $2000 price point and Nikon's is at $2200 I'd have to wonder what Canon is doing to it to cripple it... My thoughts are if the 5D2 has great image quality, has a pro-quality build, and features then it is looking an attractive option if the "low cost" full frame isn't so low cost.

Dave

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...5488/D600.html

Just announced - I only did a quick read, but the 5dII is looking forlorn according to my read.

$2099 full retail - give a month or two and I suspect it will be $1,800 or so.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Sample images and movies for the D600:
    http://www.cameraegg.com/nikon-d600-...-for-download/

Man the $2000 - $3000 segment is getting awfully crowded.

Sony, Canon, Nikon. Ebay has 5dIII bodies consistently at $3,100 and slightly below. Sony and Nikon bodies are retailed below $3k - D800 w/ lens is $3,500.

I have said many times, neither Canon nor Nikon can trust the other not to introduce a $2k FF new feature body. Nikon did it first.... did they do it best? Will Canon respond? Sony will have to do something with it's pricing. Uncompressed HD out is, according most video types a highly desirable thing. I can see the techies that developed Magic Lantern wondering about how do this on a Nikon body.....

Body styles, still pic features, video features, etc. While I truly want to wax romantically about the 5dII it is, as others have noticed, getting old. Still a great camera, etc, etc. But new sales - which is what drive marketing types - is where features get competitive over and above.

Moore's law seems to be applicable to digital imaging - this reminds me of the days with PCs were jumping meaningful chip speeds, etc every 6 months back in the 90's.

My initial thoughts - speculation again - goes something like this.
    7d $1,200 (though it could hang at $1,500 for the frame rate & focusing)
    5dII $1,500
    5dIII $ 2,500
    3dI uber mega pixel $3,500 is the answer to the d800
    3dIx $4,250 with some interesting wiz bangs for vid or no low pass something for the landscapers.
    1dx where they are now

Canon has, at the moment, better glass and can command a few hundred bucks premium - but only a few hundred bucks.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Canon 5D Mark II is now $1899.

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots View Post
    Skip the video BS altogether, a few of the latest bells and whistles and I go with a lower line 5D3 with the 7D focus system. Has to have the gapless 5D3 sensor.
    I agree!!, I have had a 7D for over 2 years and have never used video. I could use a 5D III without the video stuff!