Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon "Low Cost" Full Frame

Nikon's new camera looks awesome. It appears to be a very similar spec to the 5D Mark III for $1,400 less! Let's see what Canon does... I think Nikon really has them on this one. The proposed 6D likely won't stack up... I'm not really crazy about Nikkor lenses otherwise I'd consider the jump. As is maybe wait for 5D Mark II price to reach a level then pounce?

Is anyone else taken back by how good the D600 looks?

Dave

Don't like the look of the D600, tired of the silly red swoopy thing....

"Look" is probably the wrong word choice. Should have said "Specs look".

Dave

Nikon certainly raised the bar. I think there is an "enthusiasts" level FF vs. "PRO." and 2k is somewhat the limit for the average joe enthusiast. Canon does have a great enthusiast sports camera - 7d, I don't think Nikon has an alternatve (I simply don't know the nikon product line that well). Canon has a great pro "event photographer" camera - 5dIII. I am not sure, from an event stand point the d800 is quite equal to 5dIII. Pro Sports camera - got to give it to Canon - the pro sport shooter doesn't give a hoot about the 2k difference. - 10 fps vs. 14 fps makes the money shot much more likely.

My point to all of this is that the Canon is missing the enthusiast landscape camera I think the d800 speaks to a slightly different audience than the 5dIII.

I don't need anything more than 4 or 5 fps, I would very much like some more resolution - Shortly, I will have 3x the cost of the body in glass - so make the body so I can harvest the value of the glass. Nikons new 70-200 has as good or better numbers as the Canon version, they are rumored to be introducing a new 24-70 that is in response to the Canon 24-70 mkII. From an enthusiast perspective - or at least mine - 2 uber resolution f2.8 zooms, set of exetension tubes, a 2x TC, D800 to harvest the resolution, relative small box of equipment that looks awfully powerful. Nope not taking it to the olympics - but just about anywhere else. I would dearly love to see Canon come out with a uber resolution body so that when I go to the olympics all I need to do is rent a 1dx body for the fps and take my glass.

I know Dan Browning (has anybody heard from him lately) jumped to Nikon. Hope he is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    "Look" is probably the wrong word choice. Should have said "Specs look".

Dave
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911