Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon "Low Cost" Full Frame

Canon "Low Cost" Full Frame

I was just curious what people think about the rumored Canon 6D, or whatever they end up naming, their competitor to the leaked Nikon D600.

If someone is wanting to enter the world of full frame do you think the 6D will be worthwhile or would it be smarter to look at the 5D Mark II? I've been very happy with the 60D, but must admit that a full frame camera would likely be a huge upgrade.

I've noticed that Busted Knuckles is opting for the 5D Mark II.

Do you think the price will be ~ $2,000 or closer to $1,500?

Dave

If it ends up simular to the 5D II but with better AF, then it would be real nice. The 7D is closer to $1500... so just the size of the sensor would push it above that. The sensor is a big part of the costs, and the surface area of a FF sensor is 2.89 times bigger than the 1.7 crop sensor. So if they get it up to the price of the 5D II, then it should have a lot of the same capabilities with a better AF (I hope anyway).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

The latest on the rumor site;
    • 22mp (Same sensor as 5D2)
    • 4.5 fps
    • Touchscreen
    • Same AF system as 7D
    • Lower build quality than the 5D Mark III
    I would hope that this isn't what Canon offers. It is nothing more than a remix of 4 year old technology. Canon needs to move forward with new technology, a dumbed down 5D III would make more sense, not a rehash. If they do offer a camera with these spec's it would explain why Canon stock has lost $14 a share in the last 6 months.

Wasn't the 5d2 selling for $1500 new or a refurb for less? That pretty cheap the way it is. I'd keep cranking that model out the way it is rather than re-inventing the wheel, or maybe update a piece where it makes sense (newer part is cheaper). Don't know how you could dumb down the AF farther than the markII and do the touch screen inside a tighter budget without skimping somewhere important (like the feel).
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

The AF on the 5dII is not "current" standard, also the processor and the sensor is getting long in the tooth. I think I am on record for pointing out that neither canon nor nikon can trust the other not to come out with an updated $2k body. Though the 5dIII seems to be deal priced on fleabay for $3100 pretty consistently.

The 5dIII is a fine camera, I used it for a week, had a great time, but it clearly has many, many features that I will not likely ever use. So I would be OK w/ a dumbed down 5dIII and I am not a run & gun photojournalist so a lesser build quality - say something in the 60d/7d level would be certainly acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    Wasn't the 5d2 selling for $1500 new or a refurb for less? That pretty cheap the way it is. I'd keep cranking that model out the way it is rather than re-inventing the wheel, or maybe update a piece where it makes sense (newer part is cheaper). Don't know how you could dumb down the AF farther than the markII and do the touch screen inside a tighter budget without skimping somewhere important (like the feel).
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Skip the video BS altogether, a few of the latest bells and whistles and I go with a lower line 5D3 with the 7D focus system. Has to have the gapless 5D3 sensor.

Ok my wish is take the 7D body and put a 18-22 mpx fullframe sensor in, keep everything the same and sell it for $2200. Ok maybe lower the fps rate down to 5 fps due the fullframe sensor. You now have an entry level ff that costs $700 more than the 7D and $1200 less than the 5D Mark III.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    Ok my wish is take the 7D body and put a 18-22 mpx fullframe sensor in, keep everything the same and sell it for $2200. Ok maybe lower the fps rate down to 5 fps due the fullframe sensor. You now have an entry level ff that costs $700 more than the 7D and $1200 less than the 5D Mark III.
    Hmm, interesting thought provoking - Question.... which would net you a better product positioning in the market and in production - the 5dIII sensor or the 1dx sensor in the 2k FF "update"? dumb down the software/functions a bit from the 5dIII, AF of the 7d, metering similar to the 5dIII.

Hmm. This thread is getting highly speculative and I suspect in a week or two we will have a much better idea coming out of photokina.

I am glad I am not in a hurry for the FF.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I've said it before, a 5D3 sensor in a cardboard box with 1 AF point, priced somewhere around a 7D, and i'd buy one. Any other features are a bonus.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I don't know that I want to throw the money at it right now, but if I did I think I'd go for 5D Mark II.

We already know it has very good build and many pro level features. It also was just above $2,600 just about everywhere with the very good 24-105L lens. Typically I only use the center point AF when with moving subjects. If I'm using off center points generally the objects are static.

The 6D scares me to an extent. If it didn't have micro autofocus adjustment or if the build were made much worse those would be deal breakers for me. Plus, I doubt the 24-105L would be thrown in for just $600 extra.

Dave