Thread: How much do you trust a Gorillapod?

Red face How much do you trust a Gorillapod?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101 IMG_2793.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	1380

Attaching the filter was indeed a bit scary.
    Arnt

Heh, just keep hold of the neck strap and you'll be fine.

Could also have hung something heavy from the feet of the gorilla so that it's guaranteed to stay with the camera at the top.

I've done what you pictured, wrapped around a bridge rail over a gorge. Support was fine for a long-exposure waterfall pic, and that was with a heavier combo than yours - a gripped 7D and 17-55mm.

But would you do it with the new 1Dx John???
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Sure. It's insured, of course...

I think you either trust the thing or not. You certainly don't want your camera fall down from a bridge, but you also don't want it to fall 3 or 4 feet on the ground, even if the chances of survival are better for the latter scenario.
    I love the Gorillapod for the small size, weight, and price. The only thing that bothers me is that, no matter how I attach it, it always sags a little after letting go of the camera, which makes it a little harder to frame shots exactly. But it is still a lot better than not having any tripod with you.
    Arnt

I've been using the gorillapod, usually with the 7D and EFS 15-85 combo, for about 6 months. I think it is great. I haven't had a problem when wrapping it around a rail, as pictured. Although, I usually do hold the camera strap. Even though it is insured, I would hate for something to happen.

Where I've run into issues is the bottom feet sliding on rocks. I guess they make spikes, but I don't have those.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Where I've run into issues is the bottom feet sliding on rocks. I guess they make spikes, but I don't have those.
    What can help a little is to bend them in an arc, so that the last elements near the feet point to the ground vertically. Or spread its legs wide so that the whole thing comes down on the ground (unless you need the few inches of height).
    Arnt

Arnt - wouldn't you be better off with the GorillaPod Focus rather than the SLR-Zoom for the weight of your equipment? Would get rid of that sag I suspect.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Maybe, I suppose the Focus is a bid stiffer. The Rebel and the 15-85 is not very heavy, but a bit front-heavy.
    But sometimes it is not the stiffness, but some play between gorilla and structure, so the focus wouldn't help either. And then the Focus is also bigger.
    I think I'll keep the SLR Zoom and buy a real tripod sooner or later. I did buy the Ballhead X which has an Arca-Swiss quick release so that I can mix and match with future tripods. I would always recommend the X over the Ballhead they offer in a bundle with the SLR Zoom for that reason.
    Arnt