Thread: Getting used to DSLR...what do you think?

Getting used to DSLR...what do you think?

I recently purchased a Rebel XS, and after not being satisfied with the kit lens, bought the 50mm f/1.4. Took these on St. Patrick's Day. Any thoughts? Am I at least getting to where I should be with this equipment? I can get EXIF data if needed.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.17/outside.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.17/outbw.jpg[/img]

Any thoughts are appreciated...

Re: Getting used to DSLR...what do you think?

I don't know where you think you "should be", [] but those are nice. And I don't think you could have gotten such a sharp foreground and blurry background with a p&s.

Yeah, you've got it. Basically, "where I should be" is not feeling like I should go back to my P&S. With the kit lens, I was starting to wonder. []

Thanks for the input!

These look great. They are a real improvement upon your first posts.

Cute kid...

If you're just starting out with serious photography, you need to figure out your style...everyone's "where they should be" is different, and most peoples' are changing constantly. If you're happy with the pictures you're taking, you're where you should be...if not, lots of people on this board are happy to help

If you're just looking to experiment with the capabilities of a DSLR, the 50mm f/1.4 (or any fast prime) is a good lens to mess with. The first shot you took demonstrates the depth-of-field advantage of a DSLR...the blurry background really adds to the shot, and you couldn't do that with a point-and-shoot. You can also do the same thing inside without using the flash...and you can use the rapid-fire mode and AI Servo autofocus to chase your kid around when he's playing (which will hopefully have the added advantage of causing your wife to allow you to spend more money on camera gear). Just a couple of ideas...

The shots look alright. I do recommend more black in your b&w conversion and a bit more contrast. I did it in six seconds like this:
    (It needs more refinement but it is not as 'flat' as a plain conversion to black and white without checking levels).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/outbw.jpg[/img]

Thanks, Mark. And thanks to all for the input! Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by adam

(which will hopefully have the added advantage of causing your wife to allow you to spend more money on camera gear)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That's the goal. I had to beg and plead for the f/1.4. I'm thinking about the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 next. Something to cover a wider range.