Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fullframe fever. Am I crazy?

Fullframe fever. Am I crazy?

So my wife wanted a bit of a wider lens than our 50mm for our 7D. I'm assuming she also needed a wide aperture, or she would have just used the kit lens (ours is super sharp, so I've been in no rush to replace it). People seem to really like the 30mm Sigma, so I went and added it to my cart, along with a few other odds and ends. Then I did a quick peek into the used section, and that's where it all started to go horribly wrong.

In the used section, I saw I could have a 5D for $150 more than the 30mm lens. There's the cheap full frame everyone wants! Sure it won't have the best high-ISO, and the resolution would be a bit worse, but I'd have a full frame! Our 50mm on the 5D would act like the 30mm on the 7D, solving the original issue, but also our 85mm and 70-300L would get magic transformations too. I'd get the choice of moving in with the 5D to get bokeh, and a perspective shift to get more background, or I could stay back with the 7D to minimize how much background is visible. I'd have a camera for when I can't back up, and a camera for when I can't get closer... All these options open up, for the same price as a low-end lens. Amazing.

The wife also wants servo performance. The 5D won't do that. Hmm. What to do?!? I kept looking.

For much the same price as the 30mm or the 5D, a 1DmkII was available. Several actually. I'd get a wider view, 1D build quality, portrait controls, and servo performance. But not the full focal length and perspective difference. In order to get the wider focal length, I'd still need to buy a lens. I didn't want to get a body along with a lens I can't use on it, so the 30mm was now out. I looked for a similar focal length fullframe compatible lens. Canon's 28mm is pretty close. It costs just a bit more. A 1DmkII along with a 28mm would work I suppose. But I wouldn't really have a fullframe, just a 1.3 crop, which isn't that different from what I've got. And I'd lose resolution. Phooey.

I'd gotten my heart set on a fullframe by now, the 5D wasn't going to cut it for servo, and the 1DmkII with a lens was getting expensive, and wasn't what I wanted. Hmm... What to do?!? I kept looking.

For much the same price as the 1DmkII and 28mm, I could have a 1DsmkII. I'd have fullframe, servo performance, 1D build quality, portrait controls, pretty much the same resolution as I'm used to (15MP with T1i, 18MP with 7D, and 16.6MP with 1DsmkII).

Add to cart, buy (and worry about it later). And that's how you turn a $500 purchase into a $1400 one.

So, am I crazy? Anyone going to follow me down the rabbit hole? You can do it cheaper with the 5D (both Adorama and B&H have used ones available in the $650-$750 range).

I don't think your crazy, but you could include the 1Ds in your choice. Yes it's not as good as a 1Ds II but if the price is a bit steep for your wife that could be an option. There is a 1Ds II with a shutter bounce issue in my area that is very cheap and could fix it myself, that thing temps me more than once! But keep focus, super telel, super tele!

Cheers,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

I did see a 1Ds, but figured it would be too ancient. Besides, it's too late. When I said "Add to cart, buy", it wasn't a figure of speech. The order is sitting in queue somewhere deep inside Adorama, right now.

DxoMark says I should expect less noise too. Yay! I wasn't sure if I'd get the noise advantage of full frame, due to the age of the sensor and processor, but it looks to be around an ISO stop better at both luma and chroma. Seeing that helped remove some of my "Oh my god, what have I done" jitters.

Congrats, David!! Can't wait to see some shots taken with it and get your overall opinion on it compared to the 7d!

Huh, i hadn't thought of going used on the 1d series. Could be a genius move. Let us know how it turns out.

I know there's a fine line between genius and insanity, so I'm glad you all seem to be leaning towards the genius option.

From what I can gather, I should expect a bulky heavy body with a tiny screen, no live-view, no movies, no auto sensor cleaning(!), and awkward controls. In return I'll get awesome IQ and servo performance, which is what it's all about. Oh, and weather sealing as a bonus.

I'll be sure to post pics, but I probably won't get the camera until mid-week, and may not have much opportunity to shoot until the weekend.

I have gone insane - I just did the Adorama on the 5dIII. 30 days to try it/see if the price comes down or a new camera comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I know there's a fine line between genius and insanity, so I'm glad you all seem to be leaning towards the genius option.

From what I can gather, I should expect a bulky heavy body with a tiny screen, no live-view, no movies, no auto sensor cleaning(!), and awkward controls. In return I'll get awesome IQ and servo performance, which is what it's all about. Oh, and weather sealing as a bonus.

I'll be sure to post pics, but I probably won't get the camera until mid-week, and may not have much opportunity to shoot until the weekend.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

BK, Sorry. I didn't realize it was contagious... Ok, fine, I had a fairly good idea that it might be. If you don't like the 5D3, and it takes you 31 days to figure that out, I'm willing to help out with an even trade for the 1Ds2.

This is going to be the longest weekend ever.

In one of my earlier posts I suggested the 5dIII make it to $2,500. Given I could get it w/o sales tax, it is effectively under $2,500.

Now if someone will ship one of the 24-70s I pre-ordered......
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Dave... I spent the weekend in the same boat.. even threw in a bid or two on eBay for a clean 1Ds II but didn't win.. still on the fence about it.. did more reading on the 1Ds II vs the 5D classic vs the 5D II than I care to say.. in the end, I remain camera less.. I love the fact the 1Ds II is built like a tank.. Seldom use live view on my old 40D, could care less about the small screen.. cant see without my glasses anyway.. Video would be nice, but not a deal breaker.. IQ and getting 3-5 years out of it would be my goal.. My reservation was solely the age of the 1Ds II and if repairs were going to sour my purchase... need to give it some more thought.. but yep, seeing clean ones (cosmetically that is.. shutter count is still dependent on what seller reports) in the ball park of 1400 as well..